|Sometimes pictures starting with a tilde won't open|
NOTE: this just started happening to pages that worked fine a couple days ago....
When I click on the "Launch external browser" icon in my editor (Homesite), the page I'm working on shows up very nicely with the navigation bar showing the link ending in (for example) \domain\index.html. However, when I click on a link in my navigation table, which has worked just fine until now, I get a page with rectangles where all the GIFs and JPGs should be, and the navigation bar shows (for example) \domain\~hswidgets.htm. Then, when I click on the "Home" link in my navigation bar, I get the same home page that was just fine a minute ago, but again, the pic's are rectagles and the nav-bar shows \domain\~hsindex.html.
Would I be correct in assuming that the ~(tilde)hs has something to do with Homesite, or is the "hs" just coincidence?
If I go back into the editor and click on the "Launch external browser" icon to open the same pages, they open just fine.
I have screwed around with this for a whole day, and it happens with both Firefox and IE. I have completely verified the code on both pages, and run my anti virus stuff, etc.
As usual, any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
Yes, Homesite does create temporary pages that begin with "~hs". How you are getting those urls into your pages is another question - that's what you need to avoid. Somehow when you create the anchor tag, you are creating it to point to the temporary version of the page, not the actual url. The html will still validate - it just gives you display issues since it's not really the url you intended for that anchor tag.
Thank you for your quick reply. Actually, the explanation you just gave me, I sort of figured out myself. What I really wanted to know is how to prevent this from happening. I have wasted at least a couple of days that could have been much more productive chasing this stupid thing. By the way, I have checked the code in both the original of each page, and the copy, and they are identical as far as I can see.
Another aspect is that the "New" page doesn't show up in the Homesite files list, so it took me quite a while to figure out how to delete them. Also, they only seem to appear when I test the links; not when I open a page via the "Launch browser" icon.
If I ever figure this out, I will post again.
I use homesite. To prevent the visual errors SAVE the edited file before envoking the external browser. HOWEVER, since there are enough problems as it is, I generally START an external and manually load the file and never have a problem. Keep the external open and if further edits, SAVE then REFRESH in external. PITA, of course, but works 100% of the time.