|Dreamweaver MX 6.1 niggling problems persisting|
Problem with layout and links
| 3:36 pm on May 29, 2008 (gmt 0)|
I'm new to this forum but I thought it was about time I fixed a couple of irritating problems that have been plauging me for ages (and the updater 6.1 does not fix it) - apologies if it has already been answered!
I installed Dreamweaver 6 (from the complete Studio MX) many years ago and after the 6.1 updater became available, this was installed and everything worked fine. However, after upgrading the hardware (the hard disk crumbled) and reinstalling, two irritating faults persist:
1. Tables do not resize properly after any alteration. Example: if content is removed, the cell remains at the same size.
2. Links that are generated, including images, always have a forward slash (/) perceding the link, which look fine in the DW window but does not render properly in any browser - this includes the link to the CSS, so that every page created from a Template is always completely chuffed...
I'm sure it is a really dumb solution that I've simply overlooked, but I'm damned if I can find out what is wrong :-/
Can any of you wizards help?
| 9:32 am on May 31, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Hey LastChance, welcome to WebmasterWorld
your problem is not normal.
1. I'm assuming that the tables and cells are set at a $ (percentage / ratio), rather than a fixed pixel width ?
2. if '/' preceeds http in the <a href="http.... section then it will effectively kill the link - its not correct, i am not sure why it is doing it unless for every link added a custom code is being added also.
the 1st problem sounds more like a HTML based problem - the second sounds like a bug, if you have not custom coded. Personally i would get a new (newer) version of Dreamweaver - the new versions have more features, but also cleared/resolved bugs with older versions.
There are lots of Demo's and share systems out there. Look around, alternatively if you get say Studio 8 - you may get it cheap online as its out of date - CS3 web is expensive as it includes alot of Adobe software nowadays.
| 10:57 pm on May 31, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Thanks for the quick response, Caine.
1. The tables can be either % or pixels as the display gets corrupted whichever parameter is used. I would like to point out that it is only the display in the DW preview window that gets screwed (always rendered correctly in browsers), but it is extremely tedious when it needs constant refreshing.
2. The forward slash '/' only affects those links to files:
/menu/buttons/button.gif, for example would be generated, when the actual path should either be:
depending on the position of the target. No remote links (http://) are affected.
Sorry if I wasn't crystal-clear in my original question!
| 12:40 am on Jun 1, 2008 (gmt 0)|
It does sound like bugs, i would get a new version of DW - 8 was very stable and the CS version is good.
| 12:21 pm on Jun 2, 2008 (gmt 0)|
I would agree that it does appear to be a bug, except that it installed properly on my original system. Reinstalling has made no difference so I suspect some parameter has changed somewhere that is now affecting the program.
I might uninstall, hack the registry, and see if I can remove all mentions of Dreamweaver to see if I can return to 'normal' (whatever that is)