|css page not displayed on IE7|
css, navigators, js, żiE bad?, dreamweaver
| 3:06 am on Jan 31, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Hi everybody, im new to the site but im hoping to get in touch with the subjects as I get along, lately im researching about programming web pages with js, but hey, thats another subject. My question is: anyone knows why a page designed with dreamweaver 2004, with the js code generated by the software, does not display in IE/ at all. I tried to check the CSS issues and actually thats why I decided to use the js for the swapping images. But, as it turns out, the page can only be viewed on firefox or netscape. However, I cant figure out whats wrong with the code now, as I believe theres nothing wierd, just a bit of css, divs and the swapping images. I would really appreciate some help.
| 12:24 pm on Jan 31, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Welcome to WebmasterWorld jerry95!
How is your CSS file being included in your page? The link method or @import?
If it's the latter then there are issues around using @import('file.css) or @import "file.css" that only work in certain browsers!
| 2:50 am on Feb 2, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Whats the code? If you'd like to post it, I may be able to help. Or how are you including it into the rest of your pages?
| 4:25 pm on Feb 3, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Welcome aboard jerry95, before you do anything else, verify three things:
1. Check your document type. Choosing a doctype [webmasterworld.com]
An invalid doctype renders in Quirks mode. Standards mode and Quirks mode require very different things to display at least similarly in different browsers. Figure out what doctype you're using, if any, and make it a habit to use a valid doctype.
2. Validate the document. W3C Validator [validator.w3.org]
A misplaced quote around an attribute can cause an entire page (or section of it) to go blank.
3. Isolate the problem. Save a version of this page and begin stripping out chunks of the page by trial and error until you get it to display.
| 6:01 am on Feb 6, 2008 (gmt 0)|
I had a similar problem to this a while back, my page looked and operated fine in Firefox and Safari yet didnt show up at all in IE7.
In my case the problem was with the JS in the <head>. I temporarily removed some of the JS there and IE showed the page. From there I rewrote the JS in the <head> as before but bit by bit and checking in IE after every change until I found the offending piece of JS.
I was lucky because as it turned out my site functioned perfectly without that little piece but your case it may not be so simple and you may need to replace it. Either way at least you've isolated the problem script.
Hope this helps.
As it turns out it was the script mentioned in the above post so that could be a good place to start.