homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.166.105.24
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Pubcon Platinum Sponsor 2014
Home / Forums Index / Google / Google AdWords
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & eWhisper & skibum

Google AdWords Forum

    
Help with rolling out KW level URLs to existing account
Keyword level URL roll out
sanfrankid94102

5+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4491430 posted 11:34 pm on Sep 4, 2012 (gmt 0)

I inherited an Adwords account at my new job. The account is 5 years old with tons of history. In order to set up proprietary tracking I need to roll out KW level URLs (they have always used Ad level URLs which continuously reset Ad history with any testing/edits).

There are approx. 165,000 KWs with roughly 30 KWs driving 90% of the business.

My questions is what do you think the best approach would be to rolling out the KW level URLs with the least upset to performance?

 

jskrewson

5+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4491430 posted 12:08 am on Sep 5, 2012 (gmt 0)

So, gradually is better in my opinion. One thing to keep in mind, Google AdBot is going to visit each URL that you add, even if it is the same landing page with different query parameters. So, if you were to input 165K urls at once, the adbot is going to be crawling like crazy. This can, in itself, reduce earnings if your servers can't handle the increased load.

Same holds true for MSN Adcenter bot, although it obeys the crawl-delay robots.txt directive.

Gradually, over weeks/months is better from a quality score perspective too I believe. Just make sure you are done many weeks before the next big buying season.

RhinoFish

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 5+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4491430 posted 4:51 pm on Sep 5, 2012 (gmt 0)

imo, AdWords is very fast at understanding tracking URLs, i'd do a 10% chunk of the account, watch it for 2-3 days, then do the other 90% once clear.

for AdCenter, go much slower, both on interim and chunk size.

in both cases, try to use the dynamic injection / value params, their detection algo's will "get it" much faster (and your work can be done much faster as well).

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Google / Google AdWords
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved