To add to what has already been said, turbohost:
Having worked with thousands of advertisers in one way or another over the years, I think that, at the bottom line, the best approach is to make use of all available resources, included this forum - and then expect to spend quite a bit of time of energy in the process of learning what works and what does not.
It is entirely possible to go through the steps of setting up up an AdWords campaign in 15 minutes or less - but I think it is virtually impossible to set up a successful campaign in that sort of time frame. The truth is, there is a learning curve.
Here is just one resource where you will find quite a number of detailed lessons to help you learn how best to use AdWords - available as either text or multimedia:
* AdWords Learning Center"
Also, some very important (and very basic) tips may be found on the page linked to below, from the AdWords Help Center. This is one of my favorite pages among the thousands to be found there:
* Tips for success:
The topics covered on that page - which are essential to using AdWords effectively in my opinion:
1. Identify your advertising goals.
2. Organize your account for maximum effectiveness.
3. Choose relevant keywords and placements.
4. Create straightforward, targeted ads.
5. Optimize your website for conversions.
6. Track your account performance.
7. Test and modify your campaigns to get the results you want.
I wish you the best of success.