|Odd experience, new unit on site A results in lower RPM account wide?|
| 12:35 am on May 8, 2012 (gmt 0)|
I haven't created a new add unit in some time and decided to monetize an older game related site with 3 units (2 link unit + 1 ad block). Starting the day after and up until today my entire account earnings are down significantly. Looking at the charts everything took a 33%+ downturn from the day I created/added the new units.
This suggests all units are somehow tied together or that my account is seen to contain traditionally lower paying content(games), is there any way to fix this? I would never have created the units had I known this would be the result, traffic to all sites remains the same as before.
| 7:44 pm on May 8, 2012 (gmt 0)|
All I can contribute is; "smart pricing" has supposedly always been an Adsense account wide impact, for all your sites.
Ridiculous, I know but, that's the way it's been. I will say, if you have a spouse and you both have websites, but are sharing one account for Adsense, the Adsense team has advised me personally that you, and your spouse, may each have your own Adsense account. HOWEVER, even then, say 2007, they suggested signing up using two different PC's which I interpreted as two different IP addresses.
If this was done it might reduce "smart pricing" interaction for the two websites.
| 8:37 pm on May 8, 2012 (gmt 0)|
It sure seems odd; I've never experienced anything like it, and I have quite a few sites in my account, and I'm constantly shifting things in and out as I create new sites or get rid of old ones.
I kind of wonder if it was just a coincidence.
Did you try temporarily removing the new ads to see if anything popped back up?
| 7:08 pm on May 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
I removed the ads from the site yesterday morning and nothing changed, yet. My RPM is now sitting at 50% of what it was prior to adding new units to this website and it would have to be some wicked coincidence to be cruising along and on the very day I add units to crash like this. I'm convinced it's tied and unfortunately ad units are permanent, you cannot delete them EVER from adsense. You can only hide them.
I'm not losing hope just yet, if I cannot delete them I'm darned well going to make them re-learn what my content is about by placing the units on the other sites and, hopefully, erase all impact of learning from THAT site had. Google doesn't know why you want an ad unit until it learns what the site is about so it *should* work, wish me luck.
Like everything Google there is a trailing 90 day history period in which I doubt I'm going anywhere with my new lowered RPM, but we'll see. Traffic levels are virtually unchanged.
| 7:15 pm on May 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
I'd give it a day or two longer before checking out the reportings - Adsense always seems to be a day or more behind in my experience.