| 5:01 pm on Feb 7, 2012 (gmt 0)|
Doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd probably temporarily replace each ad with a self-hosted graphic, and then take a look at my log files to see if I could spot something fishy.
| 8:44 pm on Feb 8, 2012 (gmt 0)|
Can you see the top ads when you view the page?
If you can't, then use the Can't See My Ads Troubleshooter:
It has a link to a form for contacting Adsense.
| 10:15 pm on Feb 8, 2012 (gmt 0)|
Mystery solved. I could see ads but the performance report was indicating zip page views for six of my ads. My server was apparently hacked and a rogue publisher changed the ad code (the google_pub_id and google_ad_slot id numbers) so that all revenue was directed to his account and not mine.
It was serendipity that I was in actual email contact with a Google Adsense employee confirming my registration to an upcoming AdSense In Your City conference the same day I noticed the odd page view numbers. I requested help. I then scoured my ads trying to figure out what was causing this and the Google employee and I discovered that the ad code on my site was not matching my own ad code. Having now been informed that the publisher of this inserted new code did not have authorization from me, I am sure Google is taking appropriate measures.
Btw, my hosting provider said that I was the second client of his to report the same problem so forewarned is forearmed.
| 11:11 am on Feb 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
|Btw, my hosting provider said that I was the second client of his to report the same problem so forewarned is forearmed. |
And what is your host doing about this?
| 11:25 am on Feb 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
Hopefully Google will investigate further before doing something to the other publisher. Because it's possible that somebody could hack site A and paste your adsense code there.
| 12:06 pm on Feb 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
Huskypup, other than running the most up-to-date security software, I'm not sure what else a host should be doing. I had assumed it was the client's responsibility to maintain up to date versions of software such as blog and forum software and uploading new security patches when released. It is also the responsibility of software developers to provide software updates that patches security holes. All my software and plugins were up to date at the time of the exploit except one but ironically that site's ads were not affected.
| 2:01 pm on Feb 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
|I'm not sure what else a host should be doing. |
They should be securing the exploit, if it has already happened to someone else then the host can presumably be hacked by a backdoor entrance and gain access to other sites with AdSense.
I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than me will comment about this.
| 3:24 pm on Feb 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
Google could prevent this exploit from occurring by providing us with an Allowed Publisher setting, similar to Allowed Sites, so that we could specify which publisher ids can appear on our sites.
| 4:10 pm on Feb 9, 2012 (gmt 0)|
If you're on shared hosting, it is definitely possible someone could hack the server and hit multiple sites. Your hosting company should at least be looking for exploits.
| 12:13 am on Feb 10, 2012 (gmt 0)|
I have a dedicated server. No shared hosting.