|Adsense Search Box|
requested to update
|norton j radstock|
I have been asked by Adsense to update the search boxes on my sites to the newer Custom Search Engine. I tried loading this but the search results come up on a page that shows an adsense code number instead of showing my logo, and also does not use the colour scheme set for results.
Has anyone else had these issues that might be able to advise?
I too, have received 2 warnings to date.
So, I removed most of my search boxes when first notified, because -
1. They only contribute a fraction of 1% to total AdSense revenue - they merit none of my time.
2. I didn't want to wait too long, and miss the deadline.
3. I tried the new search boxes, but there were multiple functionality issues with them.
4. The 2 radio buttons for "This Site" and "Google" are no longer offered (I liked this implementation).
I was told that the deadline for removal was "the end of February".
I now have just 2 more boxes to remove.
I have decided to just replace them with a simple Google link - no more search box complexity concerns, no more search box issues.
Plus, one less domain look-up will speed up page delivery. Google has been pushing hard for us to optimize speed, by reducing domain look-ups. They used to list them for us in Google Webmaster Tools under Labs - Site Performance.
I think Google is having some problems with AdSense for Search. I noticed my income and searches abruptly stopped last summer. When I investigated, the page redirect was happening (I had it set up to display search results on a page on my site), but no results were loading.
I replaced the Google script with the new updated code, and still nothing. The pages on my site all validated without the Google code, and I'm certain there was nothing else conflicting on the page, but I still couldn't get it to work.
And of course, there's no way to contact Google or file a trouble report for them to look into it.
So, I changed my search boxes to have the results appear on Google, with my site logo. That is working and producing some clicks.
I spent hours trying to fix it, and only got frustration out of it.
*sigh* Yes, I have to update these too - I always preferred the old markup so hadn't ever used the new version.
Guess I should schedule some time to find them all and update them now that I am back from xmas :(
|norton j radstock|
Thanks for the replies. I am at my wits end with this -I cannot get the new search to work:
• it will not display my logo in the results, only a randomly generated number/letter code.
• it will not use my selected colour palette in the results.
• it only works at all if I use a form break in front of it.
Added to this there is no longer the possibility to give users the initial option of searching site or web. It will take many hours work to replace all the search boxes on my sites but I cannot even start until it works properly.
I understand your frustration. I spent several days researching and trying to determine what would cause my Google search to abruptly quit working. I even created completely blank pages, with no images or anything else on them, just the Google search box on one and the code to display search results on the other. I still couldn't get it to work.
I decided the problem had to be on Google's end, and since there's no way to let them know about the issue, I switched everything over to display search results on Google. Since then, it's been working and producing some income.
I keep hoping Bing will offer something similar to AdSense, and perhaps even have customer service to help those with issues. It seems like it would be worth the expense to me.
|They only contribute a fraction of 1% to total AdSense revenue - they merit none of my time. |
Every site is different, search provides a significant percentage of our total revenue.
This has prompted me to impleemnt the new code.
The problem I have is that using the new code, it only shows one result, my home page.
Any ideas why?
After a lot of testing I figured out how to once again have both site results and entire Web results. I inserted the code for the my site's results, then below that inserted the code for entire Web results. You only need to put the search *results* code in there one time, below both of those codes.
However unlike most people I have my site/Web search on its own dedicated page and this probably wouldn't be practical if you had a box on the main page and results pointing to another page.
This is the text I used to introduce what was going on:
"Search [my site] with Google Custom Search, from the Web's leading search engine! Just type in the word(s) you're looking for in the first box below and click "Search." Results for [my site] will appear on this page below.
"Alternatively, if you would like to search the entire World Wide Web using Google's search engine, use the second box. Results will also appear on this page."
If you're still confused what I'm talking about, just check out my site in my profile and go to its search page.