Msg#: 4620266 posted 10:11 am on Oct 31, 2013 (gmt 0)
Something strange happened to my website starting few day ago (Monday).
My usual traffic jumped by roughly 50%. My initial thought was that someone is directly targeting my site. After looking at website statistic I conclude that rise in traffic comes from organic Google traffic ... nothing bad in that.
Yesterday things went bad ... at least from my perspective. Organic Google traffic is still high (50% more then usual) but some statistics are way off.
First my Visits/Unique Visitors ratio jumped from 1.1 to 1.3 - 1.4.
Second Pages / Visit fell from average 1.56 to 1.1
Third Avg. Visit Duration fell almost to 0 sec, it is 0:00:03 and it used to be several minutes.
Fourth Bounce Rate went from 73% to 86 % and New Visits went from 75 % to 55 %.
This change in statistic is affecting all my traffic, not only organic Google search results.
I have checked my server (VPS) and everything behaves just fine. Website loads fast. I have even tried to access it from several VPN's and still everything works just fine so it should not be related to website loading time.
Google webmaster tools didn't report any problems.
I would appreciate if someone can share their thought on the issue.
Msg#: 4620266 posted 7:51 pm on Oct 31, 2013 (gmt 0)
Sounds quite a bit like a search engine web-preview or browser pre-caching -- Have you checked the UAs of visitors to see if there's a spike in one or a SE UA making requests? -- I know the new version of Safari pre-loads the "top-hit" from a search by default.
Msg#: 4620266 posted 2:57 pm on Nov 2, 2013 (gmt 0)
It also sounds like an extreme version of something I've observed in the past when Google is sending mismatched traffic to your site in droves. I've only seen this once or twice, usually on new sites, as if Google is liking your site but not sure which users really should be sent to it. I assume it's a form of testing.
However, I never saw fluctuations on the scale you're seeing, so that might not be what's going on in your case.
Msg#: 4620266 posted 11:31 am on Nov 6, 2013 (gmt 0)
First thank you everyone.
I think this problem is related to my blog/server.