homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.196.159.11
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / Google / Google SEO News and Discussion
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: Robert Charlton & aakk9999 & brotherhood of lan & goodroi

Google SEO News and Discussion Forum

    
Merging 2 sites that had penalties removed/have disavow files
Shepherd




msg:4616603
 11:49 am on Oct 14, 2013 (gmt 0)

OK, I know no one here has the definitive answer to this but I thought I would through it out for discussion.

2 sites (A and B, both had manual penalties removed by submitting disavow files and reconsideration requests.

We are merging (301) site A to site B. In doing this whatever authority, links, and traffic the goes to A will now go to B.

But, but, but, site A's disavow file, does that transfer to site B, I don't think that it would. Could that be an issue for site B? Should site A's disavow file be merged with site B's at the same time site A is 301'd to site B?

 

1script




msg:4616649
 2:26 pm on Oct 14, 2013 (gmt 0)

I wouldn't worry about disavows. Just keep a copy of site A's disavow file to be ready to submit should you feel the need in the future. I would be much more worried about the penalties never *actually* going away, even after receiving the "revoked" notices. I've a site that has by now not seen an improvement in 9 months since the "revoked" notice and in fact has just been hit with yet another penalty, or so it seems, since another 70% of whatever traffic remained is gone over this weekend.

Robert Charlton




msg:4616678
 5:41 pm on Oct 14, 2013 (gmt 0)

Does site A actually have enough "authority, (good) links, and traffic" to justify the merger? The redirect would IMO be transferring penalties.

If I did this, I think I'd send a combined disavow file, just so Google doesn't think you're trying to hide something with the redirect.

Shepherd




msg:4616683
 5:55 pm on Oct 14, 2013 (gmt 0)

Does site A actually have enough "authority, (good) links, and traffic" to justify the merger?


Great question. This was more of a business decision than an seo decision. site A is greenwidgets.com and site B is widgets.com. maintaining them both has become less productive than it once was so now we merge.

enough:
authority- yes
good links- no
traffic- yes
content- yes

I've been leaning towards merging the disavow file also, but I might just wait to see if we get a manual penalty on site B first.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Google / Google SEO News and Discussion
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved