Msg#: 4586432 posted 2:20 pm on Jun 21, 2013 (gmt 0)
We have over 700K+ articles on our website. The website has a separate mobile site hosted on subdomain i.e. (m.xxxx.com) and has limited features. We have properly setup canonical on mobile site and handheld rel attribute on main site articles page. We did exactly same as Google stated in their doc [developers.google.com ]. We have Google sitemap which shows Google know that this is a mobile website. We were receiving over 500K+ impressions per day until March 2013 and now its ZERO!
In the first week of March 2013 we restricted our mobile site access to only mobile users due to scrappers. This change has dramatically removed all of mobile site pages from Google index! Now we are not even receiving a single impression in a day.
On 15th May, we changed our mobile site access to same as it was before but nothing has happened so far. The Google sitemap now shows that it has indexed 1500 web pages and none mobile web pages from our mobile sitemap.
We sent reconsideration request and explained everything but unfortunately it was not helpful at all. Here is the response from Google:
Reconsideration request for m.example.com/: No manual spam actions found
We received a request from a site owner to reconsider m.example.com/ for compliance with Google's Webmaster Guidelines.
We reviewed your site and found no manual actions by the webspam team that might affect your site's ranking in Google. There's no need to file a reconsideration request for your site, because any ranking issues you may be experiencing are not related to a manual action taken by the webspam team.
Of course, there may be other issues with your site that affect your site's ranking. Google's computers determine the order of our search results using a series of formulas known as algorithms. We make hundreds of changes to our search algorithms each year, and we employ more than 200 different signals when ranking pages. As our algorithms change and as the web (including your site) changes, some fluctuation in ranking can happen as we make updates to present the best results to our users.
If you've experienced a change in ranking which you suspect may be more than a simple algorithm change, there are other things you may want to investigate as possible causes, such as a major change to your site's content, content management system, or server architecture. For example, a site may not rank well if your server stops serving pages to Googlebot, or if you've changed the URLs for a large portion of your site's pages. This article has a list of other potential reasons your site may not be doing well in search.
Is there anyone who experienced similar issue? I believe Google is suspecting duplicate contents and ignoring rel attribute. How should we deal with this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[edited by: goodroi at 6:31 pm (utc) on Jun 21, 2013] [edit reason] Fixed Url [/edit]
Msg#: 4586432 posted 10:57 pm on Jun 21, 2013 (gmt 0)
Yes, there were no issues with Google crawling at all. Google is still crawling our mobile site. We have checked logs and found quite good Google bot activity. We verified Google bot user agent by ip address. The only problem is Google is not indexing our mobile site.
Msg#: 4586432 posted 1:29 am on Jun 22, 2013 (gmt 0)
jojy I am pretty sure Google thinks you are cloaking. What ever you may think you have at some stage given one of the Googlebots something that you do not give your users. This will usually result in a very removal from Google's index. turn off your scrapper blocking and see if you come back.
I have a client who did exactly as you did. Got it wrong (even though they thought they got it right) when they turned off the blocking a month or so later it all came back to normal. The longer you leave it the less likely that Google will let you back into the index.
As for scrapper blocking. Block only the exact ips and referrers. If you can't work them exactly then don't block them.