Msg#: 4546899 posted 9:27 pm on Feb 19, 2013 (gmt 0)
First off, I acknowledge that the last thing anyone wants to read is some publisher crying about how their search traffic is down for no reason. My story is a little different, but I'm at my wits end and I genuinely need some help.
Starting on exactly January 3rd, our site search traffic dropped more than 60%. I didn't pay it any mind a first, as this happens from time to time and I knew it would return. 6 weeks later still no return.
Here is where it gets it interesting. All my site pages are indexed. The original article never comes up in the search results. Instead you get a scraper site.
But if you put in "site:" Google finds the right article.
So it seems simple right? Google is attributing the scraper as the original and incorrectly dinging my site as the duplicate content. But the thing is, even the stories that don't get scraped or after I fill out a notice and teh scrapped article is removed, our articles still don't show.
Is there anyway to make Google manually look at our site and see why scrapers are ranking above us, and also find out why they won't rank us?
[edited by: goodroi at 10:06 pm (utc) on Feb 19, 2013] [edit reason] Welcome to WebmasterWorld, please go read the forum rules :) [/edit]
Msg#: 4546899 posted 10:12 pm on Feb 19, 2013 (gmt 0)
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. To help others better understand your situation can you provide some more information?
Have you filed any DMCA requests? Are you using a sitemap? Is your site verified with Google webmaster central? Have you checked to see if your site is penalized? Why does your site traffic dramatically fluctuates on a regular basis?
Msg#: 4546899 posted 11:35 pm on Feb 19, 2013 (gmt 0)
1) I have filled several DMCA requests. Some granted, some not. But I have filled out at least 20 examples over the past few weeks. The main thing I am going is using the Chrome extension to file spam reports against the scrappers.
2) Yes I am using several site maps and Google is indexing my pages. See screenshot here: [cl.ly...]
3) I believe our site is verified. How do I check?
4) No messages of any penalties. Appears healthy in webmaster tools.
5) Site traffic was consistent at about 90,000 visits a day. When we have this problem with google, traffic falls to about 40,000 per day. This entire dip is close to the change in search traffic during these periods. A couple of times a year this happens, but always within a week the issue is resolved. This time it has been 6 week.s
Msg#: 4546899 posted 11:41 pm on Feb 19, 2013 (gmt 0)
I just noticed all the examples were missing. Am I not allowed to give URLs as examples? Basically if you search for our article titles, even if you write [our domain name] in front of it, you get the scraper site. You never see our site unless you use the site://
[edited by: tedster at 5:17 am (utc) on Feb 20, 2013] [edit reason] Please read the forum charter [/edit]