I finally did my .ca website. I was planning this since 2007.
I put on the home page some English and French text for the description of my website.
The problem is that Google.ca in English recognizes my website has French and we you search for it directly on Google in English it says Translate this page besides it. Even if half of the website is in English.
My website does score very good on Google.ca in French but in English I get a big zero.
That maybe the problem. Your English page should have almost 100% English with a link to the French page and vice versa. That is how I do it with Spanish and English. In fact now when I search the website in default G, it shows the English page which is a sub-folder and when I switch the language to Spanish, I see the correct home page.