I bought a domain name recently and found this problem. I hope you guys can give some advice.
This is my situation:-
1) I wanted to buy a domain name. I looked for the name and then I checked the history of the domain using waybackmachine and there was no archive found. so I go ahead and bought it. (www.example.com)
2) 1 month later (now), I found out that my domain birth date was actually on year 2007. So I have done a closer research.
3) I did a "site:example.com" at both yahoo and google and the result returned pages that I do not have on my website. However when I search "site:www.example.com", those pages do not appear. (I use Wordpress as CMS and have set the preference on dashboard to have my homepage with "www")
I feel uncomfortable over the pages. I am not sure whether the previous website is a spam site or anything (I cant retrieve the previous version of website through waybackmachine). My questions are:-
1) Do I need to set up 301 to redirect the "extra" pages to my homepage? If yes, there will be around 20 301 to be made. I think that's too much.
2) Will they be any negative impact on my site due to this? I realize Google doesn't crawl my site as often as my another new site. (For example when I cut and paste the whole paragraph of my content on the search column, the SERP doesn't return my site as first)
3) Any other action I should take?
[edited by: tedster at 6:03 pm (utc) on Mar. 2, 2009]
[edit reason] switch to example.com - it cannot be owned [/edit]