| 5:52 pm on Nov 5, 2008 (gmt 0)|
When a penalty is removed, the Google algorithm is no longer the same as it used to be when the penalty was first applied - so your natural rankings are not always going to be "the same". In addition, the effectrs of soome penalties are removed gradually, in steps - rather than all at once. I've seen both these effects on sites I worked with.
| 7:52 pm on Nov 5, 2008 (gmt 0)|
How long did it take for you to recover?
| 9:08 pm on Nov 5, 2008 (gmt 0)|
I filled a reconsideration request and a day later the penalty disappeared.
| 10:40 pm on Nov 5, 2008 (gmt 0)|
Did your site show a penalty in WMT? Mine doesn't show any penalties. Did you see a penalty or just fill out a reconsideration request? What did you say?
| 11:35 pm on Nov 5, 2008 (gmt 0)|
What kind of changes did you make before filing the reconsideration request, if any?
| 11:58 pm on Nov 5, 2008 (gmt 0)|
If your site has been tanked for the first time:
- your site will get back with the same ranking if you play Sherlock Holmes for a few months in order to find out what happened.
If your site has been tanked for the second time:
- your site will come back with about 20%-30% of traffic it had before if you again play Sherlock Holmes for a few months in order to find out what happened. I don't know if it can recover completely again.
If your site tanks a third time
- close down the domain and get a new one.
| 2:29 pm on Nov 6, 2008 (gmt 0)|
I knew for sure that my site had been penalized because it didn't rank for it's domain name.
I don't know exactly what was the cause of the penalty. I assumed that the site had been penalized for inner troubles. The search result page was not disallowed for indexing and there were a lot of pages in google's index. I disallowed this page in robots.txt and wrote about it in the reconsideration request.
| 4:45 pm on Nov 6, 2008 (gmt 0)|
alexsv I doubt very seriously it was the reconsideration request. Just doesn't happen that fast it was changes you made a month or so before the request.
You didn't indicate when the problem started an when you made the changes I would just rule out the request as to the cause of the filter being lifted.
| 9:51 am on Nov 7, 2008 (gmt 0)|
ok, I'll tell the whole story. Almost half a year ago, at the beginning of June, my site caught a penalty. A few weeks later I downloaded a completely new version of the site to the server. After that I filled a reconsideration request where I explained the situation. But there were no results, the filter was not lifted. Almost 4 months passed and I filled the second reconsideration request and it worked.
PS: I should also note that my site is in Russian and directed to ukrainian audience, server located in Ukraine. When I was filling the reconsideration request for the first time, in my google account the "Country" was set to USA (but I am from Ukraine). I didn't pay any attention to this fact then because I thought it didn't matter. Before filling the second reconsideration request I changed the "Country" to Ukraine and the filter was lifted. Probably when the "Country" was set to USA when I was filling the request for the first time my request was sent to an english speaking support which didn't understand a single word of what I had written. And that is why the request was not even reviewed. When I changed the "Country" to Ukraine my second request was probably reviewed by a russian speaking support and the filter was lifted.
As for "Just doesn't happen that fast"... I believe that russian speaking support recieves much less reconsideration requests than an english speaking does. Just because there use to be much less sites in russian.
| 3:01 pm on Nov 7, 2008 (gmt 0)|
alexsv ahh ok makes much more sense now. It could as well been the "Country" select the whole time and when changed it matched the site thus automatic release of the filter.
If you can view your referrals look for a search for your Domain name in Google then look from what IP or referring name. When a reconsideration request is submitted a Google employee will visit the site and you can confirm the request was a part of the lift by confirming your site was visited by a Google employee but still then again it usually takes longer for a filter to be released.
The update, test, error whatever you want to call it a couple days ago could have included the filter lift for a number of sites your included, and it just happens to be the time your filter was lifted.
[webmasterworld.com...] I am sure you read it but this is what I am referring to.
| 3:27 pm on Nov 7, 2008 (gmt 0)|
I read this topic, just the same happened to my other sites in our local gogle.com.ua. But this happened at the end of october(fenalty was lifted on Novemder 4th) and was fixed a few days later. Hope it's not a bug that the filter is lifted.