For the KW (hotels in #*$!#*$!) and site I am talking about here is the comparison with points indicated by Tedster
Its very small 50 pages hotel booking website with clear intention of being commercial.
1. Extremely strong, clean and diverse backlink profile (guess that's really 3 factors)
>>>> Very creepy artificially obtained Link
2. Over half of the backlinks point to internal pages
>>>> 100% of the backlinks point to internal pages
(i.e. all the links to index page are showing to come up from own internal pages)
3. Entire domain is dedicated to the search term
>>>> Same Same
4. Squeaky clean with regard to Google guidelines.
>>>> Not in my case, site has a lot of copied content, no HTML validation, artificially obtained links (looking at its Link directory) etc
Other interesting notes:
1. no canonical redirect is in place and some dupe url issues do exist
2. the domain name contains one hyphen
>>>> No Hyphen
3. some very noticeable duplicate titles and meta descriptions on top level pages
>>>> same same in all pages!
4. no keywords in the file path - they're all dynamic urls with one variable in the query string
>>>> All plain HTML pages
5. a large number of supplemental results - maybe 30% or even more
>>>> No supplemental
6. domain root has a PR5
>>>> PR 4
7. under 50 links on the home page
>>>> more then 70 Links
8. on product pages the template changes to almost no links
>>>> All internal pages have ame template/layout
9. definitely an e-commerce site. No one would mistake it for informational, although the product descriptions are quite in-depth and professionally written.
>>>> Completely commercial site