|Riddle Me This - Supplemental urls appear before non-Supplementals|
| 9:31 pm on Oct 12, 2006 (gmt 0)|
After 12 months of trying to rid our site of supplementals due to moving from static html pages to asp, we thought we had finally cracked it after this latest update.
We now have a 301 engine that redirects all ex pages to the correct new page and all of our top level pages have been indexed with the 301 results.
However today I tried a search on one of our part numbers (at least one click deeper) with our domain minus the . bit All I got was supplememental results as would have been the norm for the past 6 months.
However when I hit the more reults from... I get the new non supplemental page listed.
So in this case I get supplementals appearing before non supplementals
Does anyone have a clue why?
| 10:10 pm on Oct 12, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Set things up so that you get 100 results per screen, to make things easier to see. Simply append &num=100 to the end of the Google search URL: www.google.com/search?q=.....&num=100 to make that happen.
Next, play around with the &filter=0 parameter, adding and removing it, and see what you get. That parameter is the equivalent of clicking on the "click for omitted results link" in the SERPs.
It's a duplicate content issue that I am going to have big difficulty putting into words; I'm looking at another example elsewhere, where &filter=0 moves 900 results into visibility ahead of the 1000 Supplemental Results that you see when that parameter is missing.
| 11:14 pm on Oct 12, 2006 (gmt 0)|
I saw the same thing earlier today. I've got 811 supplemental results ahead of the "real" results, total pages per the site search is 1950. The site is actually about half that size. All that I can do for the site as it is I have already done (removing all possible "extra" URLs from being spidered using robots.txt, 301 redirects whereever possible, 301 redirect for non-www to www, etc.). Sitemaps shows that I've got 1975 pages blocked which is as is should be. Seeing these upside-down results frustrates me to no end! FWIW, the site is currently using Joomla.
I have recently decided to rebuild the site back to static HTML pages and no longer use a database. Considering the size of the site this will take some weeks to accomplish. In this process I've learned how to do SSI which I am putting in for those parts of the pages that can or may change over time. The bulk of each page's content really has no need to change.
I just hope the end result indexes better. If nothing else, it will make me a happier camper.
| 11:34 pm on Oct 12, 2006 (gmt 0)|
A known problem supplemental came back as the #1 result for one of our targeted keywords yesterday afternoon and is persisting today.
It had dropped way down in the SERPs with Big Daddy and we weren't concerned with it and in fact thought it was going to drop out for good. But it is apparently the listing of the undead.
Even though it is a URL not in use for over 4 years. And for which I admit we have a totally convoluted redirect structure to the "real" URL due to corporate redirect problems. But we don't link to it and no high ranking authority sites (that we know of) link to it either.
But it makes no sense to me why it would come back now. It is no longer supplemental and is #1 with the "real" URL at #2. It is the same across DCs as well as www.google.com.
I am hoping this is just part of the churn and it will be corrected by Google. I can't figure it out otherwise.
I have no answers, still looking for them though.
| 12:11 am on Oct 13, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Interesting. For a search that should return zero results (someone's long defunct email address that has long ago been removed from every website that had ever published it) two URLs that had been supplemental (supplemental for that email search term) for more than a year after the removal of the email address from those pages, and then dropped completely out of Google (for that search term in one case, and for all search terms in the other case) for at least the last year, maybe even 18 months, now both URLs have reappeared as a result when searching for that email address, and both are NOT marked as Supplemental any more. The email address is not on the page, and has not been there for several years now. This reappearance in the SERPs happened just last week sometime.
I also see a similar thing for another long-dropped URL for some other very old search term. That one is back too.