Google has been ordered to disable part of its autocomplete function in Japan after complaints it violates privacy. An unidentified man took the search giant to court over concerns that typing in his name linked him with crimes he was not involved with. Lawyer Hiroyuki Tomita said the effect on the man's reputation has meant he has found it hard to find work.
Google has so far not carried out the court's request - but said it was "reviewing the order".
"A Japanese court issued a provisional order requesting Google to delete specific terms from autocomplete," the company said in a statement on Monday. "The judge did not require Google to completely suspend the autocomplete function."
Msg#: 4433518 posted 3:23 pm on Mar 26, 2012 (gmt 0)
thats where you see how big google is, the court instruct them to disable that part, they say "we look into it" other would disable it completely and maybe find a way just to remove that persons name. They are not scared to get big fines or something. I never thought this autocomplete was a good idea, I rather have my own.
Msg#: 4433518 posted 12:37 am on Mar 27, 2012 (gmt 0)
Autocompete is now a basic part of the human/computer interface. No amount of lawsuits are going to make it go away.
I doubt that the guy in question really had a hard time finding work because of autocomplete, that was just something they had to throw in to give the law suit a chance of success. Seems unlikely that whoever was googling him at his potential employer was that ignorant.