| 4:48 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
| 5:34 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
| 5:37 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
| 10:17 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
The principle is simple:
if name = allowed names
then let them into the 'private' area
else tell them they can't get in
| 10:22 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
Not that I wish to pick holes...
|create the appearance of privacy for legal purposes |
If there are legal reasons for requiring privacy then surely this requires something more than just the "appearance" of being private?
| 10:24 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
Dreamquick has a point - if there are legal implications then you should put some effort into this to cover your rear end.
Server-side will be a must in this case, as there are just far too many holes in a client-side password system.
| 10:39 am on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
|appearance of privacy for legal purposes |
| 5:40 pm on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
This script will take an entered word (name or password) and then load a page that has that same name. They must know the name of the page in order to load the page.
In your case:
- You ask for the name that has invited them here to your site, say either Name1, Name2, or Name3.
- You have in your web space three pages named Name1.html, Name2.html, and Name3.html.
- Whatever name is entered at the Gatekeeper will return the corresponding page to the browser.
- This might also benefit you by being able to tell, through your logs, which inviter is getting the most action.
- These three pages could all be identical copies of each other or personalized with text or something referencing the person who invited them.
You should be able to find the script if you google Gatekeeper (I don't know where I got it from) or I could e-mail it to you if required.
| 6:45 pm on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
Thank you all for writing.
While I also thank those who offered legal advice, this is NOT the forum where I discuss matters in that huge topic.
| 6:48 pm on Dec 27, 2002 (gmt 0)|
One more thing....
This site is AMAZING! Three times now I have posted technical questions and gotten EXCELLENT answers within a few hours that completely resolved the problems I was facing. THANK YOU. :)