| 9:59 pm on Oct 16, 2004 (gmt 0)|
>>I prey I never see him again.
| 10:04 pm on Oct 16, 2004 (gmt 0)|
>>Most dangerous individual youve worked with
I once turned my back on him while he was lying to me.
| 10:43 pm on Oct 16, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Was employed by a guy in the late 80's - who set up a security firm.
Only found out after he'd given me a lift in his sports car from one side of the country to the other, that he used to keep a gun under the driver's seat... I also learnt later that he used to run a yacht from Morocco to the UK, via Spain, on a regular basis...
Plenty more where that came from...
| 2:11 am on Oct 17, 2004 (gmt 0)|
I keep a gun under the seat of my truck.... it's QUITE legal, I'm licensed to carry....
| 9:49 am on Oct 17, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Yeah but I bet you dont go UK-Spain-Morroco...
| 10:18 am on Oct 17, 2004 (gmt 0)|
vkaryl - I'm talking UK here - absolutely not legal...
| 3:13 pm on Oct 17, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Ah. Well, no, but y'know it's sometimes hard to tell if folks aren't from one's own particular area!
| 4:46 am on Oct 18, 2004 (gmt 0)|
I worked with a guy who was responsible for a server upgrade and had ordered the wrong size racks to fit all the new equipment in. Rather than admitt his mistake and send the stuff back, he decides to modify the rack late one night.
So picture this rack in a proper server room - temperature controlled, UPS, fire monitoring etc. He plugs an an angle grinder into one of the UPS plugs (mistake 1) causing the UPS to have a fit. So he runs an extension cord from outside the room to the angle grinder now through the ajar door. (mistake 2)
Starts cutting into the rack. Sparks fly hitting all of the other equipment in the room (mistake 3). The smoke from the grinding disk sets of the fire alarm (mistake 4). Because the door is ajar, the fire compression system doesn't cut in. He doesn't know anything is happening until the fireman politely taps him on the shoulder, forcing him to turn off the angle grinder and removes his ear muffs.
At least he was looking after his hearing!
So this gentleman is looking for a job - anyone care to employ him?
| 5:14 am on Oct 18, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Hahahaha! That's a classic!
| 3:29 pm on Oct 18, 2004 (gmt 0)|
I know a woman who started work with a computer that someone esle had previously used. After a while, she decides to clean up the computer's hard drive. She removes all of the files that had a date older than the date she started work, thinking they must all be left over from the computer's previous used. She deleted almost all of the Windows operating system.
| 5:38 pm on Oct 18, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Oh no oh no!
did they sack her?
| 4:41 am on Oct 19, 2004 (gmt 0)|
C'mon now, can't a fellow make a mistake? :)
I spent a week writing and testing a complex query from the AS/400 to the SP-2 risc box. Actually, it never really quite got tested. Every time I tried, it sucked up all the system resources. No problem, set it up to run at 3:00am on Monday morning.
At 3:15 the night shift lost their terminals. At 6:30 the operations people arrive to a cold machine... seems it shut itself down trying to process my query. It took them till noon to trace it back to me, which gave me about 3 hours to start thinking about another job.
| 5:59 pm on Oct 20, 2004 (gmt 0)|
I am working with this guy. He thinks (and many others, who I can't understand) that he is a good marketing assistant.
One of my female co-workers is leaving the company. So this guy is supposed to take care of her network of sites. While she was explaining to him what to do, he kept making crazy coments like "why would you whant to send a newsletter out?". Then she emailed one of the newsletters to him for him to get a feel for it. He contacts her a few minuts latter and says "this newsletter is totally broken, please fix it and send me the images in a zip file". She had a hard time explaining (without laughing) how to click the "download picktures" button on outlook.
He also thinks he is an SEO expert, but he doesn't even know what a meta tag is. For some reason, they haven't fired him (despite my efforts). I still can't believe the level of ignoramous I am working with. He "optimized" a site. When I checked his work he had only added one keyword stuffed spam paragraf to the top of a page. That is what he called optimization.
Grandpa, yeah, a guy has a right to make a mistake once in a while. But this whole guys life IS a mistake ;)
| 8:16 pm on Oct 21, 2004 (gmt 0)|
I once worked with a guy who carried small 8oz bottles of butane in his pockets (the kind used to refill cigarette lighters). Every 10 to 15 seconds, he would pull out the bottle, trap the nozzle between his teeth and suck down a huge snort of butane. Said it gave him a 3 second buzz.
He was a prep cook. You know, huge knife, slippery vegetables, soon to be eaten food, and this moron taking hits off a cigarette lighter every other breath.
This was years ago. I'm sure he's a public official by now. ;)
| 7:13 am on Oct 22, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|This was years ago. I'm sure he's a public official by now. ;) |
I'm voting him out of office in November ;)
| 7:51 am on Oct 22, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Worked with a fellow in the oilpatch once, who wasn't dangerous, in a careless sense, but was dangerous, in a "lightning rod" sense. We'll call him Jerry.
In the span of about 3 months:
Jerry had a roll of Swamp Matting (environemental stuff you put under a gravel base as a chemical barrier to prevent seepage into the ground - visualise a big roll of black carpet) roll onto his hand when he reached onto a flat deck to grab a fitting. Cause: Someone on the other side of the flat deck, who didn't see him, rolled the Swamp Matting a whole six inches to get at a different part. Result: Broken hand, three weeks compo.
Set himself on fire in a separator tank while grinding off a plate to accomodate a new coil, the person with him in the separator at the time cracked off a Purple K fire extinguisher to douse flames. Purple K absorbs oxygen. Both people stumbled out of the tank to collapse and cough and hack for an hour. Cause of fire: the tank had supposedly been subjected to a caustic wash to clean out sludge. Whoever did the wash, did a lousy job. Result: two days compo, and a twice annual lung check for life.
Launched out of a picker basket when the picker operator got a little sloppy with the controls. Fortunately, Jerry was wearing his harness, so he only fell 6 fee until the harness rope caught, instead of the 40 feet he could've fallen to the ground. Result: Soiled underpants.
H2S "knockdown" while swapping out valves at a compressor station. Cause: the unit he was working on had supposedly been purged and isolated by the plant operator. A main valve hadn't been fully closed, and a slow leak built up inside the shack. Result: Jerry getting mouth to mouth from an ugly looking brute of an Aussie, and 3 days compo.
Jerry, walking across a lease to go grab a wrench, got clipped by the end of a 20 foot piece of 2 inch sched 80 pipe that someone else dropped, hit the ground, bounced and "whipped". Result: Shattered shin, 3 months compo, Jerry decided to try and find work outside the oilpatch.
Those were just the "major" incidents. Not once did he do anything wrong. In the end, we were sad to see him go. Partly because he was a nice guy, but mostly because when he was around, if something bad was going to happen, it would happen to him, and not us.
| 8:47 pm on Oct 26, 2004 (gmt 0)|
Your Jerry reminds me of this Tim Taylor guy from the sitcom "Home Improvement"...
You don't happen to be "Al Borland", do you?
| 6:43 am on Oct 27, 2004 (gmt 0)|
heheh, Tim was responsible for his own injuries. From what I observed, Jerry was almost invariably not at fault.
| 8:35 am on Oct 27, 2004 (gmt 0)|
What does Jerry do now? A crash test dummy?
| 5:02 pm on Oct 27, 2004 (gmt 0)|
|I'm voting him out of office in November |
AH HA HAAAA HA --- YES!
That's great, thanks for the laugh.