So far the only dumb mistakes I have made are the ones I am not aware of.
I seo'd a site for a general term "small widgets" and adsense displayed general ads for "small widgets". However, "small blue widgets" was paying much higher. I had to go back and optimize the page for adsense to show "small blue widgets" while seo'ing the page for "small widgets"
"""1.) Some one pointed his dumb site to my site"""
I wish a lot of dumb people would point their site to mine. This just doesn't make any sense.
This is a strange thread. The original poster is asking for 5 mistakes we make yet he comes up with 1 "mistake" which is not a mistake he make at all!
Well, my only mistake is putting Adsense on my affiliate product review page which affected my aff sales!
Biggest mistake = not adding new content often enough.
Making AdSense money grow is not all that difficult, once you have a good formula:
1. Research to find keywords for your topic that get a lot of searches at the major SE's.
2. Write one page of content around each of those keywords. SEO, but only lightly!
3. Get some links so the spiders find you quickly.
4. Add new content regularly (at least one new page per week per site).
5. Rinse, repeat. The more you follow steps 1-4, the higher your AS income will go.
You may hit periods of flat or even negative growth, but the overall trend will always be up and up. Think of every new page of content as a seed you're planting. You plant it once, and it may help feed you and your family for years to come. What a great opportunity! Just do it!
My dumb mistake:
Putting a 120x600 skyscraper in my site's colours to the right of my content, and thinking that was the best I could do.
It was about a year before I started experimenting, and found that I could more than double income without compromising the look of the site.
1) Not originally blending my ads into the site
2) Not putting AdLinks on as soon as they came out, cost me a few thou$and
3) replying to this thread instead of working on my site ;)
|Well, my only mistake is putting Adsense on my affiliate product review page which affected my aff sales! |
Yup, AdSense kills affiliate sales.
The irony is the tradeoff, you probably get $0.05 CPC from a bottom feeder taking the same surfer to his site where he gets the affiliate click for a $20 commission.
Since I make way more on AdSense than affiliates at the moment so I wouldn't put this in the mistake category yet.
1.When I started using this in Sept 2003, I thought just putting ad will give me revenue and when I received 3 times more income than other banner exchange I thought its perfect I don’t have to do any thing
2.Until July 2004 I wasn’t convinced that anyone can earn 4 figures per months in AdSense.
3. I was under impression I am earning way beyond others.
4.Restructuring site with a view to visitors only and removing AdSense.
5.Not providing enough time to promote site to draw quality traffic.
:-) Thanks Webmasterworld.com
Well i dont know if I have 5 though have made 100 since starting.
1. I put on some other forms of advertising to spread out income source, the ctr stayed same but income was no where close, back to just google & one other one.
2. Wasted time waiting to see results, by this I mean I would say to myself, well if it starts making 30 a day I will care, then if it starts making 100 a day I will pay attention, by the time it hit 500 a day i was paying attention but too much time had passed and I started slipping for not keeping active.
3. Answering this post ;)