| 11:58 am on Jun 26, 2003 (gmt 0)|
If your page has an XHTML doctype, then you need to violate Googles TOS and change their script tags. Replace
There's no "language" attribute to the script tag in XHTML.
| 3:14 pm on Jun 26, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Good observation. I do use XHTML, Strict. Well, I'd rather have invalid HTML, than violate the Google TOS (hmm, what's the world coming to). I've never signed an agreement with the W3C, but I did with Google AdSense... and I suppose they spider the pages and check wether or not the exact code they provided is there.
However, I just noticed the script does something, and seemingly correct... it spits out an <iframe> which contains an HTML which is OK except the <body> contains no content...
| 9:29 pm on Jun 26, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I have this problem too. I have not even added my Adsense code yet because I noticed right away that it was not going to work on my XHTML 1.0 Strict pages. No way am I going to go through and change all my pages back after I just spent weeks converting and validating all of them.
I have written to Google about this issue and will post here when I get a response.
| 2:28 am on Jun 27, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I got a response from Google pretty darn quick.
Since we can't paste emails here, I'll just tell you they are aware of the XHTML issue and plan to fix the problem.
I was given permission to make the necessary changes to the code so you should just write and ask for permission to tweak the code into compliance.
| 10:20 am on Jun 27, 2003 (gmt 0)|
BTW, I asked them wether or not I can keep Amazon Affiliate text links (to books) on the same page, and they said it's OK. So far, Amazon links didn't make a single cent for me, so maybe Google AdSense works better! I'm all optimistic.
| 7:55 pm on Jun 27, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Same problem for me - blank ads.
I tried the tip that was posted near the beginning of this thread, but that didn't help. I tried a virtually bare-bones test page, and it didn't work there either. No word back from Google yet. Any ideas?
[edited by: heini at 8:06 pm (utc) on June 27, 2003]
[edit reason] sorry, no urls per TOS / thank you! [/edit]
| 10:17 pm on Jun 27, 2003 (gmt 0)|
It gets more interesting. Using that bare-bones test page, I used the code that belongs to a friend of mine. It worked perfectly. Then, I simply changed the google_ad_client ID number back to mine, and it no longer worked. I guess this means something is wrong when that ID is sent to G in request for the ad.
Also, fwiw, I now have 114 impressions. I have no idea how, as I still can't see the ad. Also, for the amount of time the code has been up there it should be in the tens of thousands - not just 114.
If anyone has suggestions for me to try, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I'll wait to hear back from G.
| 10:23 pm on Jun 27, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I should have mentioned - that was with the 468x60 ads. I just tried the skyscraper, and had the exact same result - white box, but no ads. Blech.
| 11:57 pm on Jun 27, 2003 (gmt 0)|
No e-mail from G yet, but the ads are working and the impressions/clicks are accruing! I don't know why it suddenly started working, though...
| 2:35 am on Jun 28, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I don't understand why you guys aren't getting replies from G.
I've already had to contact them several times with petty questions and have heard back within the hour every time except for the one I sent at 2:00 a.m.
| 3:54 pm on Jun 28, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Oh well. I didn't change anything. But now it all works.