homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.198.148.191
register, free tools, login, search, subscribe, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Pubcon Platinum Sponsor
Home / Forums Index / Google / Google AdSense
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: incrediBILL & jatar k & martinibuster

Google AdSense Forum

This 331 message thread spans 12 pages: < < 331 ( 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 > >     
Google AdSense launched today
New content targed ad program for content providers
eaden




msg:1433406
 8:39 am on Jun 18, 2003 (gmt 0)

It's way cool :)

[google.com...]

Not sure if this should be in Google News or adwords. I guess this forum should really be the one for AdSense questions as it's about advertising.

Also, it seems that the site hangs in IE. Mozilla ( as usual ) works perfectly so use that.

Unlike the exising content targed ads you do not need 20 million visitors to put these ads on your site.

 

Lisa




msg:1433556
 12:15 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

ok, We are testing the Adsense on our production site. From what we can see, it is great. 5000 ads show in 3 hours. And from what we see it actually TRIES to figure out non pre-cached pages. But I would like to help Google out a little because I know the meaning of my own pages. The biggest problem we have is that most of our pages are not indexed by Google and we donít want them to be, since we have 30 million pages. So they would have no idea what to display except the default theme of the site.

The challenge we face is displaying the ads on a results page, not a Search Engine Results Page, but none the less a results page. Not sure how big a deal that is with the TOS, but I suspect Google would not mind since they approved our site and it is clear that is how we would use the ads. Now the big problem is that Google has no idea what to show for non-cached pages. We would like tell Google what the pages is about, AND we do know what it is about. So either allowing use to use a variable in JavaScript telling them what the page is about. Or allowing use to query Google in the background for the ads that we can show via SSI.

examples of not cached stuff:
1) /travel.ext (G knows it should show travel stuff just based on URL)
2) /travelroads.ext (G defaults to the site's main theme because it has no idea)

In the example 1 above, Google just used the URL. But in example 2 it has no clue, We do! Our automated system would have chosen ďTour OperatorĒ as the query term because we know that is the most relevant term for the page.

So do we need to talk with Google directly because I see Alexa already can target. But I donít think they are using this version of adsense. We just need the SSI ability or JavaScript variable feeder ability.

GoogleGuy




msg:1433557
 12:23 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Interesting--I'll try to mention that too, Lisa. :)

That's a fair deal, Chicago. Meet me back here in a month or two and we'll compare notes to see how we both feel about the stuff we've talked about. :)

Lisa




msg:1433558
 12:44 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

My second post, new issue, we now have a googlebot crawling away, I hope it doesnít plan on indexing everything we show an ad on...

Mediapartners-Google/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

I hate (but have) to say it, but we just canít have Google crawling and indexing our stuff. We have an automated bot blocker in the first place so a few hundred more queries and this bot will be shown false content and treated as hostile bot. We have an automatated bot killing system in place, and for the second reason, GoogleBot is already banned from these pages. We donít want Google sucking down 30 million things for a valid reason. Will this new MediaPartners robot obey robots.txt or what are the rules Google plans on following or changing.

Thanks GG

skipfactor




msg:1433559
 1:37 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Heh, this stuff is fun. One example (hope it's okay) where I was just surfing around:
[theregister.co.uk...]

Interesting that a popular "Internet Security" and AV program that also has a great ad blocker completely removes AdSense but not AdWords.

jcoronella




msg:1433560
 1:54 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Interesting that a popular "Internet Security" and AV program that also has a great ad blocker completely removes AdSense but not AdWords.

I think that's to be expected as adsense ads are served from a second party whereas adwords are typically included server side. I don't know of an ad blocker that pulls content out of a page mid-stream.

eaden




msg:1433561
 2:03 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Lisa - that bot will crawl every page that the ads are shown on, that someone visits ( when the load the page, they load the ad, and the the bot comes around ).

The media partners bot will obey robots.txt but I think it's against the rules to put the ads on pages that can't be indexed ( or just not reccomended ).

skipfactor




msg:1433562
 2:20 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

I was thinking script differences since I've seen it block server side stuff on occasion, but you're probably correct. It blocked a header on a page I named "banner.jpg" & it took me a while to track it down; it's worth checking one's sites on occasion with popular ad blockers.

Don't change a thing GoogleGuy. ;)

danny




msg:1433563
 2:31 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

My application was oked overnight and I've just started a trial. Way to early to have any idea about revenue (I think I fall into EuropeForVisitor's class of information sites without good advertising prospects) but I'm impressed by the targeting so far.

It would be nice if the "community service" ads weren't all US in focus - so far I've seen ads for the Peace Corp and the American Red Cross. Ideally geo-location would be used to sever up ads for the Australian Red Cross or Australian Volunteers International instead. (I'm in Australia, just in case anyone hadn't guessed.)

If you're looking for more charities, how about Oxfam?
[oxfam.org...] is the generic, but there are members in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Spain, New Zealand, Hong Kong, etc.

europeforvisitors




msg:1433564
 2:57 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

GoogleGuy wrote:

Interesting, europeforvisitors. Let me know if anything new develops with your sites and AdSense.

To their credit, the Google AdSense team read my response and changed their minds. The anonymous person who wrote me even was even kind enough to say: "I apologize if
the prior disapproval of your ad was made in error."

Hmmm...I don't know if you had anything to do with this, GG, but if so, thanks. :-).

NazaretH




msg:1433565
 3:15 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Approved, impressed, excited. Long live Google!

firefly2442




msg:1433566
 4:38 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

It would be nice to have an "example" page of what statistics and information that you get once you sign up. :)

GoogleGuy




msg:1433567
 5:12 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Hey europeforvisitors, I don't think you've ever mentioned your site(s?) names..

danny




msg:1433568
 5:29 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

The stats reporting seems really feeble. As far as I can tell, for each day you can extract the number of impressions, the number of clicks, and your earnings. There's no way to tell which pages the advertising is working on...

But I imagine that will be improved on with time.

j_h_maccann




msg:1433569
 7:17 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

There's really no reason for most people to do much analysis here, because AdSense is so trivial to try out. I got an approval back within a day, used my existing AdWords account, copied and pasted the ten-line snippet of javascript into a navigation-include, and the ads appeared on my pages--five minutes total. The results look good so far (I made 12 cents in the first minute!). After a trial of a few more minutes the snippet can be removed from my include in thirty seconds and it's all over. Nothing like first-hand experience on your own site.

NeedScripts




msg:1433570
 7:55 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Ouch.. it bites..

Make sure that you guys don't loose your password.. Cuz currently Google does not seems to be having a automatic password retrieval system and even though they are quick in responsding support emails, it is pain in the neck.

Got approved, but haven't been able to login yet :(

NeedScripts

Imaster




msg:1433571
 8:27 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Two points

1) I just tried Google AdSense on my website, and noticed that at the top of the advertisement, it is mentioned "Ads by Google" with a link back to [google.com...]

Is everyone seeing this? I noticed that some websites which are displaying Google Ads in the skyscraper position do not have this text. Could it mean that premium partners do not get that text, whereas AdSense partners get it.

2) Since the AdSense code is javascript dependent, does it mean that users who have javascript disabled on their computers wouldn't be able to see the advertisement.

danny




msg:1433572
 8:27 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Something just changed, and the ads aren't displaying
properly in Mozilla now... the bottom is being clipped off
them.

Imaster




msg:1433573
 8:30 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

One more point

Currently the "Ads by Google" text is getting displayed in a blue background. If AdSense partners are indeed forced to display this text, would it be atleast possible to change the color of the background so that it goes with the site design.

The feature to customize the font color of the textads and background color of the table would be a good addition.

Shak




msg:1433574
 8:31 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

1) I just tried Google AdSense on my website, and noticed that at the top of the advertisement, it is mentioned "Ads by Google" with a link back to [google.com...]

Does this mean that YOU will NOT get any kick-back for introducing potential new advertisers to Google if they click on the link, and then go on to open an account?

A bit strange as Overture and Espotting do offer this to their partners.

In other words, are Google doing an affiliate program yet :)

Shak

NeedScripts




msg:1433575
 9:13 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

I have not yet tried Adsense, but is there any way to remove to "Ads by Google"?

Thanks

running scared




msg:1433576
 9:15 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

> affilaite programme

Don't know of one and would be suprised if they do open one.

What is anybodies take on this from an advertisers standpoint. I really feel that the approaches taken to getting the most out of a search engine ad campaign are very different to the approaches I would take to content ads. Is there not a need to be able to run two seperate campaigns now for the same set of keywords - one for content, one for search engines. Perhaps there is a way to do this already?

cdkrg




msg:1433577
 9:27 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Note:

People who registered their domains through domains by proxy or other privacy enabled domains will have to prove domain ownership to google (they recommend a fax).

I have asked them how I can prove this and am waiting for their reply.

Smiley




msg:1433578
 9:29 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Got it live on one of my sites - sure the ads are really targeted - clever stuff (wonder if google is presenting highest CPC in the topic?)

My two points of concern:
% split Ė itís not disclosed
Ad design Ė would be much better if the webmaster could edit a template to make it fit the site.

Smiley

killroy




msg:1433579
 9:34 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Still waiting for aproval, almost 24hrs, how long is it expected to take? And will I get ANY sort of notice if I'm aproved/disaproved?

furthermore a js option like this would be great:
defad1=title¦adline1¦adline2¦dispurl¦realurl
&defad2=title¦adline1¦adline2¦dispurl¦realurl&

and so on, instead of the public service ads, for onsite ads. Would seem fair enough, and I think most sites do that with their own ad systems. I know I do, if no ads are available I suggest sections from the site. And if teh default ads are defiend seperately on each page, you could even display related sections and pages to the current topic automatically, of course jsut for pages where there aren'T any suitable AdWords.

SN

Smiley




msg:1433580
 9:36 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

<Added> Not so worried about the revenue share now, seen the amount they are paying me per click and I'm very happy. Seems *very* good in this non competitive area. Wish I could make the adds fit in with the site better. This is going to be big.</added>

brotherhood of LAN




msg:1433581
 9:39 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Stuck an application in, got approved within 2 hours. Have ran a few thousand impressions and all seems well.

Now to get people to "support the site" and click on them :)

bird




msg:1433582
 10:44 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Just to repeat the point made earlier by someone (or several):

For low traffic sites, it would be an enormous advantage if the earned funds could be used in the associated adwords account directly. In fact, besides making things easier for the publisher/advertiser, it would also reduce costs for Google (lower credit card fees, fewer checks to sign):

Other than that, adsense looks very promising!

aravindgp




msg:1433583
 11:48 am on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

>>EuropeForVistors,I just finished the whole 178 messages.Your inputs were quite valuable.Great to see your site/s being approved.

Now I can sit back and do my Hobby site in the area of Complexity:the next century science...Just need google approval though if it needs to be there longterm.

>>Googleguy, Great product,I belive this will allow people to concentrate more on Content Publishing and more diversification on the web as a whole.

I have one more factor to judge a site along with PageRank..if a site is serving adwords that means it's approved by google , this means a lot in terms of credibility.

Will the credibility of site go up if they serve Adsense adwords?

Aravind

cjtripnewton




msg:1433584
 1:35 pm on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

I ran AdSense on my mental health information site last night and was pretty disappointed.

First, there is absolutely no visual or design customization. You get two choices of ad layout - vertical and horizontal. That's it. You can't change the width, height, or border color. You can't change the number of ads shown on each page. The ads just didn't look good on the site.

Second, the semantic technology they use is not that good. It seems to ignore the context of the page in the site. I.e., it looks at the words on the individual page, but ignores the fact that the page is part of a set and ignores the theme or context of the set. On every page of our mental health information site, there are links at the bottom saying that the site is a division of my company, and linking to the main company site. That's all it took. Half of the pages I looked at are showing SEO and IM ads.

Third, and this is related to "Second," the customization features they refer to are very narrow. You cannot choose companies from a list of potential matches, and you cannot eliminate companies from a list of potential matches. All you can do is type in up to 200 urls that you don't want showing on your site. First you have to find out which 200 urls you don't want. That process can take days. Basically, you look at the pages and type in the urls you don't like into notepad, then go to Google and paste them into the exclude list. Then wait around 4 hours for new ads to appear. Then type in those new urls and paste them into the Google exclude list. Then wait 4 hours or so.....

I eventually gave up figuring that there surely are more than 200 IM and SEO companies signed up.

I'd like to see Google implement a different system that allows customization. I'd like Google to present me with a list of companies that its software has determined to be good matches. Then I'd like the ability to include or exclude by checking.

The fourth problem: even after you sign up and are accepted and you accept the terms, they won't tell you how much they're going to pay, even in percentages. To me that's just odd.

There's plenty of work to be done before the system is worth using. The replies I've gotten from Google have indicated that they are thinking along the lines of providing more customization options as they move forward. I wonder if they let this one out of the bag a little early. If so, I wonder why?

Sirius1




msg:1433585
 2:06 pm on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

i also see many not targeted ads...i dont know why google try something new here...i bet my live if they make a normal rotation like doubleclick they will have much better results because of there huge ad pool. also they can serve 300% more pages with ads.

Because the visitors itself know best which ads they like to see.

europeforvisitors




msg:1433586
 2:25 pm on Jun 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Googleguy wrote:

Hey europeforvisitors, I don't think you've ever mentioned your site(s?) names..

It's in my profile. In addition to the main site, my wife and I have several geographically targeted "sites within a site" that are identified in the top navigation bar (and which are a legacy of older, separate sites from our Mining Co./About.com days).

aravindgp wrote:

I have one more factor to judge a site along with PageRank..if a site is serving adwords that means it's approved by google , this means a lot in terms of credibility. Will the credibility of site go up if they serve Adsense adwords?

Well, it won't go down. On my site, I've been running ad-network banners (some targeted, some not) with affiliate banners for high-quality vendors who sell to my audience. I think those affiliate banners do more for credibility than anything else does, because the reader probably assumes they're paid ads rather than defaults that I'm running to fill up unsold inventory. Still, the Google ads certainly shouldn't hurt credibility, and--like affiliate banners--they have the advantage of being related to the site's topic, which is always a plus.

Sirius1 wrote:

i also see many not targeted ads...i dont know why google try something new here...i bet my live if they make a normal rotation like doubleclick they will have much better results because of there huge ad pool. also they can serve 300% more pages with ads. Because the visitors itself know best which ads they like to see.

I disagree strongly. After publishing Google AdSense banners on a portion of my site last night, I'm seeing a 0.9% clickthrough rate with an effective CPM of $3.33. That's a better clickthrough rate than I've seen with targeted affiliate banners and a better CPM than I've received from standard banners at FastClick or Tribal Fusion. (There's no telling if those figures will hold, of course, but logic would suggest that highly targeted text ads should do better than the run-of-network banners that most ad networks are serving these days.)

ADDENDUM:

I just got an e-mail from another member who wanted to know what I meant by "effective CPM." I should have made myself clearer:

By "effective CPM," I'm referring to my net revenue per 1,000 AdSense banner impressions--not the gross CPM that an ad network might quote on its site.

BTW, I checked my AdSense report again a moment ago, and my effective CPM is now up to $4.01. That's the equivalent of a gross CPM of $8.02 on a banner-ad network that splits revenues 50/50 with the Webmaster.

[edited by: europeforvisitors at 3:29 pm (utc) on June 20, 2003]

This 331 message thread spans 12 pages: < < 331 ( 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 > >
Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Google / Google AdSense
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved