I've done it. Windows boy has finally installed something on his machine from the OSS/*nix farm as opposed to MS. I have to admit that I'm impressed. The install of apache, php and MySQL was smooth and I setup without any problems (On a windows XP unit too)...
... however. There is one problem. My php is working fine unless I call a .php that doesn't exist. Normally you'd expect a 404 but it's returning a 500 (Internal Server Error). I checked the apache error log and it shows:
Premature end of script headers: c:/program files/php4/php.exe
It seems that it is a bug in your version of php.exe. So check the version and see if there is a newer one you can use. If that dosen't fix it look for other reports on this problem - and see if you have anything in common - send back the info to the developers at php.net.
If your only using your installation for development then things will be fine even with the bug. No reports of similar problems on Unix installs.
I saw that post (and many like it) too but couldn't find a solution anywhere. As you say, it is just a development unit so any production server should *hopefully* be OK. Thanks for having a look around though.
If anybody has a solution, let us know (lots of people will be very grateful!)