homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.234.147.84
register, free tools, login, search, subscribe, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Subscribe to WebmasterWorld

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / CSS
Forum Library, Charter, Moderator: open

CSS Forum

    
Turning off style sheets and javascript
for testing in IE 5.5
jamie




msg:1182105
 2:15 pm on Oct 15, 2002 (gmt 0)

hi,

we are in the process of redesigning and would like to use as much css as possible to minimise page size and facilitate future changes.

we would also like to use a .js drop down menu to allow quick access to various topics.

90% of our visitors use compatible browsers, but we'd like to know that the other 10% can see and use as much of the site as possible.

is there any way to turn off style sheet support and javascript in IE 5.5 for testing purposes? or would it be better to install an old netscape 3.0 and test using that?

i have tried unticking all the java boxes in the advanced options menu but the java still works?

many thanks

 

txbakers




msg:1182106
 2:28 pm on Oct 15, 2002 (gmt 0)

You can disable your javascript in IE, just go to the Security tab and click Custom Settings. Scroll to the bottom and you'll find the scripting settings.

I wouldn't recommend testing with Netscape 3.0 - it's obsolete, archaic, and full of bugs. If you feel you must test with Netscape, use 4 as the earliest, but even that is buggy. But without JS and CSS it should render fairly well.

moonbiter




msg:1182107
 2:29 pm on Oct 15, 2002 (gmt 0)

To turn off javascript you go to the Security tab of internet options and click through the Custom Level button. There you want to scroll down and turn off Active Scripting.

For CSS, it is on the General tab, clicked through via the Accessibility button.

jamie




msg:1182108
 3:34 pm on Oct 15, 2002 (gmt 0)

thanks guys!

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / CSS
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved