Anybody find themself optimizing a file for easy finding through the Google Desktop search?
I was looking for some information on my Tivo that I though I had saved somewhere, but couldn't find it.
I found the information on my Tivo box and then saved it as a text file on my computer, heavily "optimizing" the text in the document, "stuffing" it with keywords that I thought I might use in the future when trying to find the same information.
Tested the search a minute later and wallah, there's my file :)
I definitely do this. It has changed the way I name files entirely, finally breaking me away from the old 8 character filename limitation that was just a bad habit at this point. The subject lines of my emails now follow the same conventions I use to build a good page title.
I totally do this. When I'm saving a file that has a holiday list, I'll include words like calendar or calendars. That way whatever words I use when I search later, I'm usually able to pull up the file.
Desktop search is the kind of situation that the keyword tag concept was designed for. No competitive motives... just plain finding it.
I've started putting keyword lists up at the top of working docs... including variants of words I might use to search 6 months from now. I've always been fussy about titles, because that's what I've had to rely on until Google Desktop came along. (Way back in the DOS days, I used to use Lotus Magellan. Amazing it took this long for something to replace it).
Wondering when Google Desktop will search mbx email files, and when we can choose where to put its index files (I'd like to be able to put them on my D drive).
thanks jaff...that is one of the best ideas i have heard in a while. was just about to dump a freeware program out there for our customers to use. now going to compress and use some of my static landing pages i produce for products.