|How to recover ranking in Google.|
BCentral FastCounter - Can it effect my ranking.
I have a difficult situation...and I don't know enough to know how to explain it simply. Please bear with me.
On April 22, 2004, I placed FastCounter Pro through bCentral on all my pages on a thirty day free trial. I loved all the graphs and data that it produced, but decided about twenty days into it that it was bells and whistles I really couldn't afford. I contacted them and cancelled the service before I paid anything.
Several days after cancelling the service, I lost relevance with Google. Where I was one or two on my keywords before, and getting 80% of my traffic through Google, all of the sudden I couldn't be found in most keywords, and my major keywords I had fallen down to the 50-60 range. Traffic stopped.
I had not made any changes, and had added about 50 pages of content, and I couldn't figure out what was happening.
Yesterday, I decided to look at BCentral as a source of the problem. I found that FastCounter Pro was still activated on my system, even though I had removed the code from my pages. Looking further in the files, I found Google with the word ENGLISH next to it, listed six times as being domains of my site, that were monitoring the FastCounter Pro service.
I was given the option of removing them, which I did. I suspect that somehow Google monitored me, saw no activity from the fastcounter pro (because I had removed the code from my pages) and penalized me by dropping my relevance down to nothing.
1. Does that assumption seem reasonable to anybody?
2. How did Google Beta get made a domain in the first place?
3. How do I rectify this and get back to the way it was before?
4. What is the Google ENGLISH site used for?
If anybody can shed any light on this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
|I suspect that somehow Google monitored me, saw no activity from the fastcounter pro (because I had removed the code from my pages) and penalized me by dropping my relevance down to nothing. |
1. Does that assumption seem reasonable to anybody?
It doesn't seem so to me. Why would Google let a 3rd party tracking system affect their results? They'd be opening themself up to very serious manipulation.
My assumption is that the timing here was merely coincidental.
Sounds to me like what you found was Google in the list of referring domains (domains sending traffic to your site).
I highly doubt that removing your counter has anything to do with your drop in Google's rankings.
I'd look for other causes.
It makes sense that Google wouldn't rely on that type of data....I agree with you there.
But it was a beta Google....and it was hard coded into my host site six times. It wasn't on a list of engines and sites sending me links or clicks. It was listed as six different domains attached to my site. I know it sounds confusing.....because it is!
I found it accidentally when looking up the fastcounterpro info. There was a place where I could attach it to additional domains that I own if I chose. When I pressed on that button, the six beta Google domains came up as domains that are attached to my website. Along with the six Google domains, there was one other domain....it was "http://c:". I deleted all of the domains listed, but, I don't know how they all got there in the first place, and I have checked all my p & Q's with the recent post from caveman on "Dropped Sites" and I can only find this problem as the only connection to dropping relevancy.
Thanks for your comments.
>>What is the Google ENGLISH site used for?
I don't know what your tracking was showing, but the ENGLISH can be related to geographical factors. If you access some data centers by IP number that happen to be in other countries where the native language isn't English, you're served a page that says English next to the Google logo when your IP number is detected as being U.S.-based.
I assume that because when I go to some it says "English" while others don't.
Your site could easily have been clicked on from one of those data centers any number of times, particularly if there was anything close to an update going on at the time.
I don't know much about the ENGLISH Google site....but it seems to me it was one of the newest Beta's that revealed their newest "local business" finder. It came on one day in a test run on my computer, a few months back, then left the next day. I remember being thrilled at finding an automatic search for local businesses, and when it disappeared the next day, I tracked it down in the beta shop. Periodically, it would show up.....then disappear the next day. I have a feeling it showed up six times. What I don't understand is why it was listed as a "domain" of mine that had been monitoring the fastcounter code.
This is not a case of them linking to me. Those records are revealed in a totally different section of bCentral. This was a specific listing of "My Domains". It just listed Google ENGLISH six times, and one listing of [C:...] and asked me if I would like to add any fastcounter code inside my other domains. I was smart enough, I think, to say no, and delete them, and feel dumb enough now to try to figure it all out! Thanks for your replies.