Hey guys, I wrote a page in dreamweaver, a fairly complicated layout, I finally got it working very close to how i wanted the finished product to look so i saved it as a template. I created a page from the template when i preview this page on of my menu's didn't look right anymore. I didn't actually edit anything on the new page just created it so it should have had the exact same code as the original template. I'm not exactly sure why it is doing this, i've looked over the code they seem to match exactly, even when i upload them both to a seperate server then view the exact same problem is happening. Does anybody know if when yous ave something to a dreamweaver template if it edits the css at all? Thanks Hope this made sense -Sith
as knighty said, check your pathes. if it's not about the css then keep in mind, that dw changes the source for a templates as well, because it puts it's own region marks into it (defining which areas can be changed and which not) which also can but must not mess things up.
I had the exact same problem and indeed it caused me a great deal of frustration. The problem is path related, however not as you might suspect. This issue never arose in DW 4, only in MX.
Open your Template and get rid of your current css link. Reapply your link making sure to use the browse to folder technique. browse to your style sheet (should be in the Templates folder) Here's the important part: select relative to site root instead of relative to document. That does it.
This never happened in DW 4 (whether it's mx or 4 that's actually flawed is arguable) For Templates (not for css to my knowledge) to work Macromedia states explicitly that they need to be linked in this manner and never moved. But DW4 would automatically update the path to your style sheet regardless of what direcory you saved your new document to. One curious thing is that although your document now contains the site root path you can still (at least I can) preview it locally without any problem.
Rail, Thanks I was finally able to fix the problem by updating dreamweaver mx (duh) and mess around till it worked.. i'm guessing i probalby did what you said and once it worked i wasn't about to try and break it again. Thanks for the answer tho atleast there is a solution if it happens again in the future. -Sith
Unfortunately I thought I had the solution and now things have gone completely bananas on me today. I don't know what's going on. One minute my style sheet is showing up and now it isn't. The html looks totally correct. I want to scream.