From the command menu you can opt to clean up HTML and XHTML. That should remove all empty and unnecessary tags.
<added>HTML-Kit will also strip font tags prior to making a document XHTML compliant. It strips ALL the font tags though so you'll need CSS to mark up your text. </added>
>>>>adding extra font tags to pages
DIV tags too!
>>>From the command menu you can opt to clean up HTML and XHTML
This doesn't always work that well. Doing it manually will give you the best results...unfortunately.
I think DW puts the "extra" font tags in there for some older versions of Netscape. Sometimes if you don't have the codes all over the place, the page won't show up correctly in pre-v.6x Netscape.
I know older NN versions need some odd things like putting CSS classes in table cell tags to get the page to show properly. DW doesn't do this for you. You have to hand-code it into the proper place most times.
The extra font tags could be related to this somehow.
What version of Dreamweaver are you using? I've used 4 and mx and have never experienced this.
I think you should bust out your property inspector and make sure it's font property is set to none/default.
I always use the <p> tag because I style it and that makes it easy to update the fonts for an entire site.
What version of Dreamweaver are you using?
Ya know, martinibuster, now that you mention it, the pages I was thinking of with all the extra coding were old hand-coded pages. Either that or pages I had created when I was first getting to know DW4.
I'd get confused, forget to set a default font, then wonder why my fonts weren't showing up correctly. I'd set the font in the Property window, then have extra font codes all over the place. There'd be extra "font color" tags everywhere too for the same reason no page default color for my fonts.
Could this be what's happening to you, gibsonRB75?
That's when the old find and replace function comes in handy! ;)
It's a bit of an urban myth that Dreamweaver goes on the rampage and starts inserting unwanted font tags by itself.
This tends to happen during use of the Property Inspector when users decide to make a block of text green, then change their mind and increase the size, and then decide they don't like it and cancel their changes. In this case, empty font tags are left hanging around because Dreamweaver has been trying to insert inline styles - one of the "bad" points of the programme, but popular with people moving from, say, Word.
Easier and better is to use the Page Properties to set up certain things like bgcolour and font properties.
Even better, and if you have MX it's a breeze because you can do it from the Property Inspector, is to set up CSS styles for the page.
And even better than that is to use an external stylesheet.
If you change the font, via highlighting the text block then you are telling dreamweaver to change from the default text which carries no DM defined font, and leaves the font to the mercy of the viewing browsers preference. DM is a bit of a bugger for doing it, but if your working off multiple templates, then you can easily get around the problem.
Thanks to everyone for the input.
I am using DW4 (they haven't bought me MX yet).
I inherited the site that I maintain (which was created in DW) and it has always had a ridculous amount of extra font tags. Pages added with the templates have been as bad.
Guess I need to more cautious of how I apply fonts to pages ... and get better at CSS. ;-) At least the pages that I add can have clean code.