|Dreamweaver issue - completely baffled!|
Hoping someone can help me out. Essentially what's happening is this:
When I update my pages and then upload them to the server, the changes that I made (and saved) are not reflected in the files on the server. I'm saving all my files as blahblah.html (i.e. I add the ".html" at the end of the filename when I save), but after I upload, I can only see the changes when I go to www.mydomain.com/blahblah WITHOUT the .html. The changes aren't reflected if I refrain from adding the .html extension in the filename box when I save, either.
What on earth is going on? Can anyone advise?
Are you sure that you are saving to the right folder?
Yes, I'm saving in the root folder. The funny thing is that when I woke up this morning and checked the page that I had tried to update last night, the changes were suddenly there! Maybe it's a browser thing and not a Dreamweaver thing? I had shut down and rebooted before bed, so...
I was then able to make some changes to another page, and they were reflected on the server, but then when I made a final change...it wasn't! I really have no idea what's going on here.
maybe you must empty your browsercache...
Apart from the cache in your browser, it is quite common for ISPs to have cache servers. This essentially reduces the load on thier own bandwidth. So, quite often, when you reload a page, it is only being updated by a cache server sitting on the network of your local ISP.
Since you have no way of flushing that yourself. It is quite common to have to wait an hour or so to see your changes.
One workaround when you encounter this problem, is to temporarily use a public proxy server to look at your pages. Since the request for a given page through a proxy, looks diferent to the request for the same page viewed directly, Your ISPs cache server isn''t be smart enough to corelate the two. Hence you would then get a fresh copy downloaded.
If you use the Proxy server all the time, however, this benefit is lost. (As the cache server will see your latest request through a proxy server as identical to your previous request through a proxy).
Thanks texmex - I think that's the problem right there. Annoying, but I'll look into your suggestion. :)