Well, I have a 1.6ghz Athlon ( AWESOME upgrade from that stupid 700mhz celeron )- Compaq.
Well, to start off with I am running Redhat 7.0. I am thinking of upgrading to Suse 9 as everyone is suddenly getting "excited" since Novell purchased 'em.
I use Vi for most of my editing though it seems here everyone mostly uses emacs. I haven't even started up emacs yet so I suppose I better give it a try too! :)
As far as web browsers go I am frankly suprised no one yet has mentioned Mozilla? I have the newest Mozilla and I think it is actually quite a great program? Am I wrong?
I have been looking for an HTML/CSS editor that has a "preview" pane so that I can check on what I'm working on while I'm working on it, but alas can't seem to find one for linux.
So Basically, here's my few questions ;-)
* Is Mozilla a decent package for net browsing, email and so forth?
* Emacs, will I have to learn a bunch of new stuff to run it vs running Vi?
* Which OS to migrate to? I DEFINITELY am not going back to Windoze Slop. I have heard from a number of people to go either Gentoo or look into getting SUSE with the Novell purchase of 'em.
* What do you recommend for gaming? I currently boot into my win98 part for gaming, will performance be just as good if I use Wine? I have an older grfx card of a Radeon 7500 AGP.
* HTML/CSS Editor: I need this asap if anyone knows of a good one. I am currently using Vi then saving, then opening up browser, etc. :)
I can't believe I'm in a ACTIVE Linux Community! Glad to be here. Other linux communitys are liked "plugged" where ppl just come in askin' bunch of questions but no one to answer 'em.