I have a problem with too much spam on my email accounts. My site is hosted at Hostway, and they gave me the following instructions:
1. Log on to your server via FTP. The default FTP settings you should
use are as follows:
HOST NAME: domain.com
HOST DIRECTORY: [Leave Blank]
HOST TYPE: Automatic
USER ID: domain (without the .com)
PASSWORD: Master Account Password (NOT sitecontrol password)
* You can reset your Master Account password in Site Control under
Please note that if your domain has not transferred yet then you should
use your IP address in the Host Name field.
2. Once you are able to FTP you will need to create a file called .promailrc
3. Download that file, in ASCII format, into your Local System (your
computer) in a folder where you can easily locate it. Example: My
4. Open the file using a text editor such as Notepad.
5. Add the following lines to your procmailrc file
6. To change the email that you want to block change the
@machine.siteprotect.com. If you would like to block more than one
address just copy the last 3 lines and change the email address.
7. Once the change is complete, click on File ¦ Save As. Choose All Files*
as the File Type and click on .procmailrc file from the folder where you
8. Log back onto your server via FTP and upload the file in ASCII format
back into your home directory, replacing the old one.
I have no problem with all the rest, but what is this
line? Why "TO"? And No. 6 is completely un-understandable for me. So do I block emails TO my account? What sense would this make? Wouldn't I rather have to block emails FROM certain senders? And do I have to change "@machine.siteprotect.com" to my "domain.com"?
Thanks for any help with this!