homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.166.110.247
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / Yahoo / Yahoo Search Engine and Directory
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: martinibuster

Yahoo Search Engine and Directory Forum

    
Yahoo! API - for web, news, image etc.
Is this new? Experiences?
claus




msg:841406
 9:38 am on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

I just saw this: [developer.yahoo.net...] - FAQ here [developer.yahoo.net]

It's just like the Google API it seems. Anybody played with it yet? Experiences?

 

martinibuster




msg:841407
 5:17 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

Hmm... Now this is news! Good catch claus!

claus




msg:841408
 5:52 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

I've been over it all day (local time, it's evening now) while waiting for this post to go through premoderation.

5000 queries per day - 5 times that of Google (per IP, not per ID), and you don't have to do the SOAP thing either. Great move Y!

(I found this related post [webmasterworld.com] from september as well.)

MrMacphisto




msg:841409
 6:49 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

Code samples in java, javascript, perl, php and python.

They've made it quite easy to get started. And free!

claus




msg:841410
 8:31 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

... and you can return 50 results, not just 10 as with Google

As for the examples, i can't figure out how to use the JavaScript one - anyone had any success with it?

I had some trouble with the php example as i booted to windows this morning, but uncommenting this line in "php.ini" did the trick:

extension=php_domxml.dll

Now i've started looking at the Perl module [search.cpan.org] - that one seems quite rigorous :) Tip: Installing is as easy as typing this on the command line:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Yahoo::Search'

conor




msg:841411
 9:39 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

I can see some 'made for Adsense' sites being created off the back of this one .... or may be even 'made for Yahoo's Competitor for Adsense' sites ;)

Nice one Y!

iblaine




msg:841412
 10:43 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

>I can see some 'made for Adsense' sites being created off the back of this one
Can't say I'm happy about the idea that this API will encourage more made-for-adsense sites however Y! is easy to scrape. I don't have monitoring tools that scrape Y! and report ranking results because that would be unauthorized use...but if I did, I would not rewrite them to use this API. Google is hard to scrape so it makes sense that they could be critisized for releasing an API. But anywho, I'm happy to see Y! catching up to Google and leveling the playing field a bit more.

moltar




msg:841413
 10:46 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

Awesome! No more scraping :)

2_much




msg:841414
 11:18 pm on Mar 1, 2005 (gmt 0)

That's great. I was hoping that would happen:

[webmasterworld.com...]

disgust




msg:841415
 1:53 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

Can't say I'm happy about the idea that this API will encourage more made-for-adsense sites however Y! is easy to scrape. I don't have monitoring tools that scrape Y! and report ranking results because that would be unauthorized use...but if I did, I would not rewrite them to use this API. Google is hard to scrape so it makes sense that they could be critisized for releasing an API. But anywho, I'm happy to see Y! catching up to Google and leveling the playing field a bit more.

how do you figure one is more difficult to scrape than the other?

robotsdobetter




msg:841416
 3:17 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

I wonder how long it will take Google to start allowing you to use it without SOAP?

superpower




msg:841417
 4:14 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

"Our Web Services are available for non-commercial use unless you first obtain written permission from Yahoo! If you're interested in commercial use of our APIs, Please contact yws-non-free@yahoo-inc.com for more information."

(From the FAQ)

Compworld




msg:841418
 5:11 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

Is there an easy way to build the Yahoo search services in to a search site?

claus




msg:841419
 6:20 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

>> non-commercial use

Their TOS are a little too strict for some parts of the world (as international laws differ), but i don't think using the APIs on a clearly commercial site (ie. one that sells widgets) is in violation of the TOS as long as the use of the API itself is non-commercial - and as long as your site does not deal with any of these subjects:

any products or services that constitute, promote or are used primarily for the purpose of dealing in: spyware, adware, or other malicious programs or code, counterfeit goods, items subject to US embargo, hate materials (e.g. Nazi memorabilia), goods made from protected animal/plant species, recalled goods, hacking/surveillance/interception/descrambling equipment, cigarettes, illegal drugs and paraphernalia, unlicensed sale of prescription drugs and medical devices, body parts and bodily fluids, stolen products and items used for theft, fireworks, explosives, and hazardous materials, government IDs, police items, unlicensed trade or dealing in stocks and securities, gambling items, professional services regulated by state licensing regimes, non-transferable items such as airline tickets or event tickets, non-packaged food items, or weapons and accessories; (ii) use the Yahoo! APIs in any manner or for any purpose that violates any law or regulation, or in any manner inconsistent with the Yahoo! TOS, these Terms of Use.

I understand the TOS to mean that it is the specific use of the API that has to be non commercial. Ie. this is what you say "yes" to when you download:

d. YOU SHALL NOT:

(iv) sell, lease, or sublicense the Yahoo! APIs or access thereto or derive income from the use or provision of the Yahoo! APIs, whether for direct commercial or monetary gain or otherwise, without Yahoo!'s prior, express, written permission

So, it's even possible to obtain permission for commercial use (theoretically at least). Anyway, the TOS also has this line:

>> If you have questions about your intended use of the Yahoo! APIs, you may contact us at
>> TODO@yahoo-inc.com.

Sidenote: It's also the case that you shall not: "use the Yahoo! APIs to operate nuclear facilities" ... *lol*

tntpower




msg:841420
 6:57 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

Damn, it's cool! Great!

Hanu




msg:841421
 9:07 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

Any experience with how up-to-date the Y!-API results are? 'Cause with G API the results are so stale I stopped using them and moved to scraping G serps instead.

disgust




msg:841422
 9:32 am on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

just because the G api results aren't identical to what you're seeing in *your* public datacenter doesn't mean it isn't up to date.

I've never seen the api serve something that isn't being shown on at least one datacenter.

Hanu




msg:841423
 1:41 pm on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

> just because the G api results aren't identical to what you're seeing in *your* public datacenter doesn't mean it isn't up to date.

Sorry chap, but this is not what I meant. I saw the API results lagging behind the serps 99% of the time for over a year. That *does* mean that the API was not up to date.

> I've never seen the api serve something that isn't being shown on at least one datacenter.

Me neither. But when I saw a DC serving the same results as the API, that DC's serps were lagging behind the other DC's serps as well. My observations are from 6 months ago, so don't lynch me if the API's topicality has improved since then. I personally swear by scraping.

knnknn




msg:841424
 9:17 pm on Mar 2, 2005 (gmt 0)

OK, I worked all night (hey, thanks for that link to yahoo) and got my thing going!

I have integrated it into my 2 phpBB forums!

Check it out at

[matrix-explained.com...]
(shows an orderly table)

and

[in-my-opinion.org...]
(shows a proportional layout
= the thumbnail size is RELATIVE to the picture size
= the bigger the picture, the bigger the thumbnail)
When I first saw this I thought that that looks too confusing. However after a while I didn't want to miss it.

Firefox looks a bit lame, try IE if you can.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Yahoo / Yahoo Search Engine and Directory
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved