About a week ago I noticed a HUGE increase in clicks to one of my Overture listings. So, I sifted thru my logs and found the source to be:
Here's what I found out:
1) <b>This comes from Spyware</b> made by GAIN/Gator/Claria (obvious).
2) <b>Users don't have to type my keyphrase to see my ad.</b> Rather, anything the Spyware thinks is relevant. This means anything users are stupid enough to click on will be shown, especially when clicks are expensive. When I particpate in pay for performance search, I expect my ad to be shown only when my keywords are typed in!
3)This particular spyware is in BETA, yet is driving tons of clicks to my ads that is costing me money.
4) Conversions, which were above 10%, are now below 1%. Effectively forcing me to pull my ads for the time being.
<b>In my opinion, Overture needs to do 3 things:</b>
1) Don't work with Spyware companies.
2) Since they'll ignore #1, move Spyware into the Content Match category, which is really what it is.
3) Provide a way to opt-out of spyware, so advertisers that do not want to support a malicious economy do not have to.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?