Hello Sotoweb, and Welcome to WebmasterWorld [webmasterworld.com].
I don't have a definite answer to your problem getting indexed in Google, but you might want to try these things:
1. Are you sure you are not listed in Google? what happens if you do a search for [site:mynewwebsite.tld]? If there are any results, then you have been indexed, but are not showing up for your terms.
2. Do you see any evidence in your logfiles of Googlebot visiting?
3. I don't think that submitting your site manually would have caused an issue.
4. Could Googlebot be having a problem accessing your site, say with a bad robots.txt file, or something like that? This might be a good time to check out Google Sitemaps, which now has the ability to identify crawl problems, and show you where they are so you can fix them.
5. Is it possible that your domain is on Google's blacklist? Rumor has it that if a domain name has been used to spam Google in the past, then may not be indexed in the future, at least without some intervention. You might want to check archive.org to see if there has been any activity on the domain in the past. If this looks like it might have been the case, than a Google reinclusion request might be in order.
Finally, Google has been known to take its time in honoring a 301 redirect, even if it is done with the best of intentions. I've seen domains that appear to fall into a black hole for several months, and finally pull out of it.
So, keep your chin up, and try these suggestions and see if they help.