homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.211.73.232
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Home / Forums Index / Google / Google SEO News and Discussion
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: Robert Charlton & aakk9999 & brotherhood of lan & goodroi

Google SEO News and Discussion Forum

    
Can I ever make it in this competitive market?
Web promotion for a particular vertical software website
seo911

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 33730 posted 4:36 pm on Apr 2, 2006 (gmt 0)

Hello friends

Our company has made software for a some particular vertical. There are around 200 related products and all with a website. We launched the website around 3 months back and we don’t rank anywhere in the top 1000 results for the top 5 key phrases we would like to be ranked. We have followed all the basic seo practice discussed in this forum.

The only traffic we get is from some download sites. Infect the only back links we have is from the software download sites and few others.

My questions are

1. As we are new and entering a competitive market, does that mean that we should loose the hope to ever get ranked in page 2 or page 3 even.

But there are some strange observation too which I want to share here which gives me some hope.

1. Our site does gets some traffic on some non relevant keywords.
2. Our site has 120 plus pages cached by google
3. If I search in quotes “my product name” I get 1,30,000 results. My product name is quite unique and I searched quite depth they all are the results of the download sites of our product itself. But if I search [“my product name” main keyword phrase] it doesn’t show my website at all. It’s the same for main keyword phrase 2 and phrase 3. But if I search [“my product name” main keyword phrase 4] it shows one of the internal page of my website. Now if I search just “main keyword phrase 4” It doesn’t show up my website at all.

Can any one suggest how do I go ahead from here.

 

Rollo

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 33730 posted 10:09 pm on Apr 2, 2006 (gmt 0)

We launched the website around 3 months back.

That's the issue. You likely won't start performing well in Google (or Yahoo) for another 6 to 9 months, maybe even longer. Continue doing what you're doing (provided you're doing a good job of seo) and if in a year or so the site continues to perform badly then it's likely you are not using proper seo. You should be able to make page #1 in about 95% of markets if you're patient and work at it. (The other 5% being things like gambling, dating, web hosting, etc...).

By the way, welcome to WebmasterWorld.

ogletree

WebmasterWorld Senior Member ogletree us a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 33730 posted 10:38 pm on Apr 2, 2006 (gmt 0)

First off you need to find out if those terms are the ones you actually want. Spend a little money on adwords to find out. I have seen people spend a huge amount of time trying to rank number one for a term they thought was their money term to find out it just broght a ton of worthless traffic that did not convert.

Another problem is it is hard to rank for some terms when you first put up a site. Some would say impossible. Try going after some easier terms at first. Longer more specific terms convert way better than high traffic terms. Let the high traffic terms be more of a long-term goal unless you are some super SEO. Don't waste your front page on some high traffic 2 word phrase. You are not going to get it. Go after an easy one first that includes your high traffic root term. Use one of the keyword tool websites to get these terms. Another way to get these terms is to bid broad on adwords for a Monday and a Tuesday. Rank yourself number 3 so you don't spend too much. Remember your not doing this with ROI in mind your fishing for keywords and also finding out if the root term is even worth ranking for.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Google / Google SEO News and Discussion
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved