I have read in few threads that Google "doesn't like" pages which are white hat search engine optimized.
But I see very encouraging signs on the serps and it seems that google still accepts and rewards white hat SEO and use the followings for top ranking pages on serps:
- Keywords/ keyphrases in tiltle are highlighted.
- Keywords/ keyphrases are highlighted in domain name, sub directory and page name.
- The good old SEO of acceptable Keywords/ keyphrases density are observed.
- As mentioned in another thread, ALT tag is still counted (though it could be misused).
- Effective internal pages linking (crosslinking) within a site still have effect on PR values.