I've had this scenario with a site in Google in the past week, and have been noticing other similar patterns with websites. Can anyone shed light on this:
1) Site X.com sells niche products, and achieves top 5 ranking in google on its most important term last week (it was in 20th place, but prior to that, for several months, it was in the top 5).
2) After a few days of being top 2, it falls off the rankings completely (not in the top 100)
3) After a few days, it returns to top 2
4) After a few days, it is gone completely for 4 or 5 days.
5) The site does not engage in any link farm activity. It does have approximately 25 relevant link partners. It also has multiple domains leading to it (which I suspect may be part of the problem, although the main site appears to be the one listed in the engine).
Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this a database issue on Google's part? Is it something else? What are some reasonable explanations.