When I've seen that problem before it has always been something to do with the title tag. For some reason the title tage must follow the head tag on my site in order to get the title into G. Without the title tag, there is never a description.
Another possible error that is related to this is maybe you don't have your close title tag or some other tag in the head is not closed. Or maybe you haven't closed your head tag.
Take a look at your HTML before you drive yourself nuts trying to find another reason.
Thanks. I did check the tags and they are fine. The tags on my other site which is listed in google correctly has the same structure.
Still pulling my hair out on this. I wish it was as simple as an oversight error on my part.
I don't know if I mentioned in my initial post that nothing was changed on this site in the last month. I added one or two pages, and added those to my site map, but besides that there was nothing done to cause any errors like this.
Last month there were about 12 pages from this site in the index. Now there is only the one page without any title or description.
I have emailed google and my hosting company as well for info
As well as HTML problems that taxpod mentions, is the possibility that Google found the URL on the last crawl (via links normally), but didn't fetch the page in time.
This can happen due to unfriendly URLs ("?", "&", etc.) that don't have much PageRank, or URLs that have very little PageRank. Usually these problems are only if the URL is deep in the site.
/robots.txt exclusion, as you mention, can also cause this. I don't think that it's a hosting problem; as the URL normally wouldn't be listed at all.
> Last month there were about 12 pages from this site in the index. Now there is only the one page without any title or description.
Do you still have links from pages that are in Google with some PageRank?
"Do you still have links from pages that are in Google with some PageRank?"
Yes in fact the PR of the index page of the one site has gone up from 4 to 5. Both sites is also listed on dmoz
There are no unfriendly URL's with? or &'s just standard .html pages nothing fancy at all.
[edited by: Marcia at 5:13 pm (utc) on Jan. 4, 2003]
[edit reason] sorry, no url's please [/edit]
First off, you ought to remove the link from your message. These are not allowed.
But I did go to your page and when I looked at source, the thing that struck me is that you sure use a whole lot of meta tags. I will most likely be corrected on this, and I don't have a whole lot of HTML knowledge, but if this were my site, based on my experiences, the first thing I would do is move the title tag to the first tag after head.
The next thing I would do is cut down the title to less than 75 (perhaps even 60) characters. Then I'd make sure the title appears in a couple other tags and someplace on your page.
The next thing I would do is convert all my relative URL navigation to absolute URLs at least on the home page. This has nothing to do with your original question but many on this board believe this is important for getting multiple pages into G.
I'm not sure what the purpose of this tag is:
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="all">
is this to include all or exclude all? Maybe someone else knows what this for. As I said, I'm a pure apprentice.
As a final comment I'd work towards getting a lot more links but not the top1000 kind as these can be seen as link farms.
I don't do site reviews - I'm certainly not qualified. But I think some of what I've said makes sense. Moving the title up to just after the head tag did the trick for me on two similar occassions and even if this is not HTML correct, I know it was the one thing that worked for me.
Thanks for the ideas, I will look into them. The thing though that does not make sense is that this site was properly indexed in the last crawl and in this crawl it disappears.
I have several other sites where I use the same meta tag formats and other design techniques and I have no problem with those sites, it is only with 2 of my sites where I am getting this faulty listing on google.
As far as the link exchanges, in truth I get more traffic sent to me from the top1000 sites then I do from google, so removing them would be counter productive as those sites send me far more productive and qualified traffic.
Sorry about posting the URL in a thread, I have placed the site in question on my profile for anyone else that may want to take a look at it
Site was probably not up 100% of the time during the crawl...
Welcome to the board, Tony. You might want to look at the Welcome and Guide to the Basics [webmasterworld.com].
We don't do individual site reviews, it sounds like it's possible that, since the only two problem sites have common hosting, that might be the root of it. It can happen with some shared hosting that they've got so many sites on the same box that load time can be affected to the point of timing out. I've had that happen, but the site was out for a month - grey toolbar, not PR0 though.
You say both are DMOZ listed - what's the PR of those categories?
As an afterthought, also check how many pages from those sites are currently indexed with other search engines, that could tell you a lot.
Check FAST at www.alltheweb.com and Ink at www.hotbot.co.uk and see how many pages they've got.
Both sites are listed in dmoz categories that have a PR5.
Not sure about the downtime/server issue but I have emailed the host to see if others have had this problem.
All of the pages are listed on alltheweb. I am not showing anything at hotbot though.
Also the site was up during the crawl. I did check the Google FAQ and it does say that it will check the site several times. If there was any downtime it would have only been brief. The sites have 99% uptime from my data