homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.198.25.229
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / Google / Google News Archive
Forum Library, Charter, Moderator: open

Google News Archive Forum

    
Worked my way out of Google
Got too greedy
ibpotter

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 7:45 pm on Oct 20, 2004 (gmt 0)

I fear I have made a terrible mistake: I was found as number one with my favourite seasonal keyword – and at the very right time of year. Being from a rather small country this is possible for a rooky like me. But I got greedy – copied the content of the page to another page that I named “myfavouriteseasonalkeyword.htm” having read that was a good thing – to use the keyword in the naming of the page. Meanwhile a great site responded to one of my many emails to link to my page – the old one U se….. So I turned around, again, and now I am no where to be found! Neither of the pages are to be found……

I am banging my head against the wall as I write this – I just went and got greedy…. What can I do? Can I do anything at all?

And pretty please – don’t tell me how bad it has turned out – I know already…..

 

Matt Probert

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 5:50 pm on Oct 21, 2004 (gmt 0)

What's the problem?

Are you losing sales or money? Google's not the be-all and end-all, rather it is but a means to an end. Keep your eye on the goal.

Matt

WebFusion

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 6:25 pm on Oct 21, 2004 (gmt 0)

Get rid of the duplicate content, get a few more quality links to the page, and you should be back (unless there is some other penalty involved).

cabowabo

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 6:57 pm on Oct 21, 2004 (gmt 0)

Agreed. Too much emphasis is made with Google when there are two other tough guys on the block - Y! and MSN. True, Google has the market share, but ignoring the collective market share from the other two is a big mistake.

Correct the error of your ways and focus on all three, not just one.

Cheers,

CaboWabo

Chad

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 10:02 am on Oct 29, 2004 (gmt 0)

Agreed!

<sarcasm>
Just ignore Google, who needs their 98% of potential traffic! Rather, fight your way to the top of Yahoo and MSN and claim your share of the remaining 2%.
</sarcasm>

I had a site PR0 penalized by Google. Overall traffic dropped to 1/10th -- even though the site was still top-3 in Yahoo and MSN! Even with a Google PR0 ban I still get more traffic from Google than MSN and Yahoo (combined) with top-SERPs.

Google may be pure evil, but they are still the only game in town.

- Chad

the_nerd

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 4:52 pm on Oct 29, 2004 (gmt 0)

I was found as number one with my favourite seasonal keyword

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. No #0 available ;)

vampke

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 5:14 pm on Oct 29, 2004 (gmt 0)

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. No #0 available ;)

uh... there is, he's there now :-)

walrus

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 26330 posted 8:03 pm on Oct 29, 2004 (gmt 0)

good one, heh heh.
What about deleting the old one and using htaccess permamnent redirect on the old page url to the new.
Isnt that normal and then remove the redirect after a couple months?

I just did this exact same thing and now with the new adsense rules conforming to Google webmaster guidelines on redirects ive sent a letter asking them if that could cause any violation of TOS, still waiting.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Google / Google News Archive
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved