| 9:35 pm on Jul 8, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I'll try to answer this one, it's probably spyware do a search for adaware or spybot search and destroy to try to remove it. it's probably gator or something like that.
Don't know why it doesn't show up at all do, maybe the spyware crashed? (seriously)
| 9:49 pm on Jul 8, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Yes I also thought of spyware so I run adaware 6.0 and Spy Bot Search & Destroy. I had some spyware, destroyed it all. Google.com still didnt work :(. Crashed spyware? If it has crashed on install is it possible that google doesnt work because of that and it wont show up in the anti spyware software?
| 10:11 pm on Jul 8, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Don't take that too serious, i thought about crashed spyware because you had this performance problem for a while, did you upgrade anything? windows update? that could cause the spyware to misfunction i guess.
Anyway, i'm sure you will get suggestions from other members.
In the mean time you could delete your offline content/cookies to see what it does
If you have space on your harddrive left you could install a fresh windows on another partition, to see if you can access google.com from there or while youre at it you could install a fresh copy of windows, or try the repair option from the windows cd.
| 11:38 am on Jul 9, 2003 (gmt 0)|
No I didnt upgrade anything. At least, not my browsers (btw google.com doesnt work in Opera as well) or my OS. I have already deleted my cookies I think
Yes I just checked and deleted them again, google still won't work.
Could it be my Internet Provider (chello)? I live in the Netherlands (judging by your name, you do as well) and use chello broadband internet in the Randstad.
I still have a few GB's left so I might just try installing another OS in dualboot (maybe not windows but linux (always wanted to try it out)) and see what it does.
| 2:34 pm on Jul 9, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Hi Faasie, Welcome to WebmasterWorld.
I've heard a lot of bad things about UPC/Chello, but I doubt you can blame them for this problem.
You could try going to the site of doxdesk (you can easily find them on Google), and click on the 'parasite' link. They can detect some (not all) of this kind of software on a visitor's PC that AdAware cannot find. Just give it a try.
| 7:51 pm on Jul 9, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Went to the sites... No spyware.... this is really weird.
I dont have much problems with chello download speed is very high (100KByte/s and up (depends on source), had over 600 a few times lately not above 200 though) only uploadspeed is really low :(. But anyway I really don't understand what is going on. I also get more "fatal" errors in IExplorer.
| 10:55 pm on Jul 9, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Sounds like some new type of spyware at first glance. We haven't heard other reports like this one. You might try running BHO Cop to see what else is running, or heading over to the spybot forums (go to the spybot home and click on the forum link).
| 3:26 am on Jul 10, 2003 (gmt 0)|
|(btw google.com doesnt work in Opera as well) |
I haven't heard of spyware that does this, but it sounds like it may have modified the DNS somewhere, or perhaps modified your HOSTS file - pointing www.google.com to another IP address. Just a guess, but you might want to check your hosts file...
| 12:02 pm on Jul 10, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I do know something about computers but still have to learn a lot too.. Where can I find the host file? With host, you mean my provider (chello) right? Not my IIS.
| 12:07 pm on Jul 10, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Didnt edit the previous because this one deserves its own message.
Ok google worked but with the stupid bannerlike thing again..
< parasite links on Google home page - including adult >
[edited by: ciml at 6:11 pm (utc) on July 10, 2003]
| 12:53 pm on Jul 10, 2003 (gmt 0)|
It is a file on your PC called 'hosts' (no extension).
Depending on your Windows version the file could be in:
First make a copy to 'hosts.old' and than open it in an ASCII editor like notepad (NOT in MS-Word or so!). You should only see some comment lines, starting with a hash ('#', you might call it 'hekje') and a line like
If you also see a line like
then requests to Google will go to the IP address in the hosts file (the 184.108.40.206 is just an example). If such lines are in your hosts file, remove it with an ASCII editor and save that file. Don't remove the 'localhost' line. Close all IE (Internet Explorer) windows and restart IE; a reboot is not necessary. And try it again.
BTW, there is also a file called 'hosts.sam' in the same directory, but this is just sample and doesn't need to be changed.
Do you also see the 'banner' when you click on the following link?
[220.127.116.11...] (the IP address of www-ex.google.com)
| 1:55 pm on Jul 10, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Nope Ill try the host file editing now.. let you now how it works out..
Ok I found multiple.
a file named hosts in windows/system32/etc and a few other files called back-up hosts with a date
a file named hosts in c:\windows
Ok this is weird not a line with local host I'm backing it up now and edit the hosts files
| 2:04 pm on Jul 10, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Another reply that deserves its own post :D
IT WORKS! You guys are great.
Another forum I am posting on is still slow (started at the same time) but I think Ill manage how to fix it or maybe its just the forum. its not a big deal though.
Learned lots by this :D thank you very very very much...
Tried the other forum with Opera.. it works fine in Opera so I guess its a IE thing.