| This 134 message thread spans 5 pages: 134 (  2 3 4 5 ) > > || |
|Let's do a poll - who are having problem with google and what's wrong|
vanished sites, burried results, dispeared PRs, let google hear this...
Hi guys, I have a thought, let's put together a "little" list of problems that some of our webmaster are experiencing so far. However, before you put down anything, please read the rules of this forum and the standard format of this thread. I don't want to start a thread for people to simply yelling at google, buy more to put down their problem they are experiencing so far. Mind you, according to GG, this update is far from over, so, your problem may just be solved over the next few days (weeks), but I think these information are still valuable to the new webmasters, or even google themself. :)
Simply put down the following information in ur reply:
1) what's the problem, (no url posting), use simple words, like site vanished, PR dropped to a white bar/grey bar.
2) when did this happen. Please stick to the recent event, if you had problem since the last update, please do not post it here.
3) how long have your sites been online (from what I know, people who have sites online within the last 40 days are not in the same boat with people who have sites that over months old)?
4) what was the original PR before you had this problem.
5) I hope you all do have legit material (no spam), however, our guesses so far is that the new google algo may be strickier than before, so, put down what do you think that could caused a penalty on your site. (such as, it could be duplicated contents, hidden links). Remember, in simple words, no need to say why u had them. (To make you feel better, hey, if google never detected it before this update, then ur site is perfect legit up to now, nothing to be ashamed of)
6) You comments: what do you think is happening, and what do u want to say to google... (again, please do not use harsh tones. neither googleguy nor google owes us anything, they are here to help us to gain fortunes, they have their own reasons of making changes, we can't blame them for everything we see now).
So, guys, please share your thoughts, and moderators/admins, please keep this thread clean for useful information sharing. Thank you all!
1). Site vanshed from the results. (completely, no pages surfaces except the main home page). Did "allinurl", only one page - the home page. Seems that google does not have my pages indexed at all. But they came deep crawl in April no problem. No server down time either.
2). This happened on May 16th-17th, when google seems to be "dancing" and moved results from datacenters to www
3). The site has been online Since December last year.
4). Original PR = 4, now still 4, just no pages indexed.
5). All legit material, no hidden links, cross linking, no linking farms. However, I did put up a few new pages that contain material from another site, but I do have the author's written permission to do so. The purpose of this is to share the information with people who are concerend and asked me questions regard to that on my site in the past months
6). GG, I know you are out there and reading this, and I know GOOGLE people are working hard to make the online world better for every one who are surfing, not just us webmasters. But please do not hurt our courages of creating more useful sites which benefits the others at the end. Thank you all for doing the wonderful job, and I still have fate in GOOGLE! And my site may just come back by next update. :)
dididudu, thumbs up!
My site disappeared around mid May, it had been on line since june 02. I have nothing in it google would consider dodgy. all original content etc.
I really do not have the slightest idea what the problem is or what may have caused it.
Thanks SEO_practioner for the thumb up. :) Hope people can spend the time for the input, or otherwise, this is another useless title. :)
1) Site vanished. Still showed PR in Tool Bar. Site re-appeared.
2) I noticed it was out of the index last night(may 19th)
3) Has been online well over a year. Recent site re-design though
4) Depending on the page it was showing 0-3 for PR.
5) I think it may have been to duplicate content(1page). Perhaps due to usage of WPG by a co-worker, or missing an alt image tag(one per page) which would not validate the HTML. The other theory was that it was always a fresh listing.
6) Not sure what is happening. I was going to send an email and checked google once more, and it was there. Kind of freaked me out. I think this is the strangest update I have seen. I hope it ends soon so we know whether or not to worry.
We're holding on by a thread.
No longer indexed in 7 of 9 data centers, only 'ex' and 'in' have old February index.
Site now fluctuates between PR (0) and Greybar
The site went up in December, 2002. It has static pages and no hidden text or links or other spam and continues to keep up with fresh content.
Just got a bunch of new links in April, of which some are showing as a search for our company name. but still we're not indexed or show any backlinks in the new update so far.
Missing anchor text here. My home page dropped from #4 on the main keyword to off the charts on the new index. Oddly enough one internal page comes up #25 for that site. What is so odd is that there is only one other site out there I know of linking to that internal page. Everyone else links to the home page, most with that keyword in the anchor text. Thanks to this Google ineptitude my site fell to #16 on page 2 for this keyword, from #4 last month. Safe bet nobody will find my site for that keyword now. :(
Doesn't it all just come down to traffic? We gained in some keyword searches and lost in others but the traffic hasn't really suffered. Sales conversions are actually somewhat higher.
allinanchor for main keywords dropped fro 1 to 24. Homepage dropped off the map for all searches. Interior pages still mostly on top. Pr 5 still five for home page. Resources page to went from pr4 pr0 (Its back that way now for those of you suffering from that). All this happened May 16-17th overnite (pst). The site was completely reworked with new owner and came back online (indexed) in November. It had steadily climbed to upper page 1 with the big thrust expected now as I had added a lot of new relevant backlinks with proper anchor text that should have come through with this update (and I had long been #1 for allinanchor)
I think we're both in the same boat. Our external backlinks have been cut by approx 60 - 70% and as a consequence our anchor text has been reduced.
Does the allinanchor command not return your site at all in the new index rfgdxm1?
PR0/6/3/1 fluctuations now seems settled PR0 internal and PR4 home (true figures 6 & 5. I think, or was
No problem for me personally, ranking are reletively unchanged.
But new pages 4/5 weeks old, not found but they were 2 weeks ago.
Old deleted pages are now showing.
A potential client called me the other day, he thanked me for my detailed email explanation regards SEO for his site,
he then went on to explain to me the "basics of SEO" and the importance of PR.. lol and I should work on getting links to my site, cos it is a PR0, and will not be using my services at this time.
If he had not read my email carefully he would have been still unaware of PR
I couldn't even be bothered to attempt a constructive reply,
Ok mister, good luck
Laugh or cry -:)
We've dropped from #7 to #34/37 for one of our main keywords. This is where we used to be in January. Google is really starting to tick me off. Their wonderful ideas are affecting people's businesses. We've done nothing shady with our site, and this is what we get in return.
Adds to my original report:
"allinanchor:site.com"does not produce result for me, "allinurl" does, but only my home pages can be found. my 100 other pages are missing. This seems to be similar to "needinfo"'s problem. :)
dgcccomllc: I understand your pain. (I believe people who read this thread all do) But please stay calm, believing there are others who are losing more money than you do right now out there may just help a litte. :) Let's bare with google until this update finishes. I am planning to send webmaster at google a copy of this thread, hope they can read this and help us to fix the problems. :)
But in order to do so, we need solid quality error report here. So, let's keep that coming guys. :)
[edited by: dididudu at 10:45 pm (utc) on May 19, 2003]
Here's a new one.
1) When doing a search for one of my domains in the following format: "mydomain.com", the result returned is my url but when you click on my url you are taken to another site altogether. Now how weird is that?
2 & 3) I don't know when this happened. I've had the domain for about three years but had never checked for it in Google before because I wasn't using it until last week. It was just parked on the server with nothing on it for three years.
4,5, & 6) "Not Applicable" and/or "I have no idea."
Yep, my site has been dropping up and down the index for the past couple of days.
Doing a links enquiry to the site displays either 11 incoming links or 54 at random; PR stays at a constant 5 but my search results are still being affected. Doing a search for my company name sometimes doesn't even yield any results....
Maybe best to sit it out and see that happens, I'm expecting a pretty quiet week at this rate though since half my business comes through Google :-)
My rankings have all but fallen apart and mostly been replaced with Spam City.
Please be more specific on your problem according to the original guide line of this thread. Only high quality error reports can catch GOOGLE's attention. So, please fill us in with the detailed error report. :)
>Does the allinanchor command not return your site at all in the new index rfgdxm1?
The home page, which was #4 last month with allinanchor, has dropped off the map completely. One interior page is #25. The backlinks are there, and the PR is normal for the home page (in fact, it went back up to PR6.) Just the credit for the anchor text is MIA.
My URL has been aggregated with a URL I don't own. All my traffic is now going to someone elses domain :(
My PR would change to 4 then it would change to 0 or sometimes grayed out. (Is this a bug in the google toolbar? ... I used the experimental features of the toolbar.)
I lost my site listed in the google directory, but it is still listed in the dmoz page. (Is it currently being updated?)
I am I being penalized or semi-penalized (other topic)?
Thanks for the feedback. If people want to mention specific searches/sites, they can do a spam report and put "dominic" in the comments somewhere--and hopefully mention your nickname.
Just today, I've fielded questions from two sites that had hidden text and were taken out for 30 days. One site owner knew that they had had hidden text and one didn't. If you had hidden text on your pages and you think that might be the problem, you'll want to double-check that all the hidden text is gone. The first set of hidden-text penalties will be expiring over the next week or two. Sounds like that probably isn't an issue, but it's something to bear in mind.
|My URL has been aggregated with a URL I don't own. All my traffic is now going to someone elses domain |
I think this must be what happened to me. I figured I would be the only one with something that weird happening. Thank God it's a site that I just began work on and not one that I've spent years on.
Pr on homepage remained constant but all internal pages are zero although indexed. Nothing dodgy what-so-ever on my site. Buried in serps from #5 on main keywords to #23. Most sites that moved above have little or no revelance and have a much lower PR. On initial SJ page was even further down then bounced up to #3 but now is buried again. Backlinks are down by nearly 50%. I still have faith that all will eventually come out in the wash, but I'm as confused as everyone.
i really wish that google could make a "check for penalty" tool... input URL and get back "Hidden text penalty in place, 14 days remaining" or something similar? It would surely save GOOGLE a lot of time answering queries, as well as help us all!
>Just today, I've fielded questions from two sites that had hidden text and were taken out for 30 days.
With slap on the wrist penalties like that, at this rate only the cheaters will happy with Google.
#1 for almost 6 months. Completely informational, content driven, even used Brett's 26-step-plan.
Down to #48, being beaten by cloaked, hidden links websites.
Sent spam reports months ago for these...to no avail.
Since this site is not to make money and only to inform, I am thinking this new algo is going to make my life a lot easier:>)
(My commercial websites rose in the rankings.)
seems like a ice-hockey penalty.
with 30 sites, (hold on a bit I need to do the maths here)
Err, the serps are ridiculous. My site - a non-commercial site about a specific city in the country is lower than a site that sells cigarettes. Come on Google. Should I want cigarettes why would I look for a city? Also noticed most above my site are commercial sites. Is google now giving more weight to them? Help us all that followed your TOS and got killed.
1. Site vanished, all 20-some-odd pages of it.
2. Happened in the last ("D") update.
3. Site up/in G! since Feb 03, mostly indexed in "Cassandra", though ranked poorly, probably due to few (5?) incoming links.
4. PR1 for main page, PR0 for most "internal" pages.
5. Really can't imagine why I'd have been dropped (but see below). No cloaking, no redirects, no dupe content (except for the nav bar and the copyright disclaimer, but... no.) Nothing bad whatsoever.
6. I really believe (based on the pages indexed for other sites, both of mine and others) that this index was "built" on Deepbot data from the index prior to "Cassandra" (was that "Boston?") for reason or reasons unknown to us. I think that the links and pages added since that index, not to mention the dozens of pages spidered last month but not in the index, will show up either in the *next* update or the one after. For now, for me, all I can say is "thank the Goddess for AdWords!".
| This 134 message thread spans 5 pages: 134 (  2 3 4 5 ) > > |