| 12:13 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Should be Ok in the USA if they run both for a while until the dns update is picked up by Google.
Outside the USA and you could run in to geo targeting problems. That siad if you had this problem currently a move might sort it out.
| 12:18 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I think it affect google deep crawling cause G keeps the ip address. The best for you would be to let the 60 domains on the old ip for a while(a month or two).
| 12:48 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Allow 3 months 2 b on the safe side.
| 2:05 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Question - when you are looking at the logs and see that Googlebot is hitting on new site (IP), wouldn't that indicate that the new IP has been discovered by Google and that you don't need to keep the old site up anymore?
| 2:12 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I've changed IP's and Host's several times in the past few months and have had no problems at all... even Google seemed to find me within the same month.
Hope it goes as smoothly for you ... don't think it'll be a problem if your provider does everything 'right'.
| 2:28 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
I moved my site to a new server a few weeks ago, and I even posted a question here about Google and IPs.
Google found the new site within a few days of the move, and most of the traffic has been diverted to the new server.
I do check the logs of the old server (the site is still there) and noticed that it gets a few visits per day by several spiders. I will leave the old site up for another month just to accommodate these spiders.
| 2:45 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
Thanks for the info :)
The problem is I have no control over the old server. After the move it is effectively gone. So I can't have both the old and new servers running in parallel.
I hope things go smoothly. I am hosted in Canada.
| 3:04 am on Mar 16, 2003 (gmt 0)|
For me it took about 4 weeks but Google is picking up the new server IP's now. Best time to do it is after the deep crawl and keep the old server up for at least a month - 2 if possible. I have a very understanding hosting provider that waited for Google to finish... I suppose it's a good test if your host is willing to be flexible!