homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.198.157.6
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Visit PubCon.com
Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / XML Development
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: httpwebwitch

XML Development Forum

    
Rendering Problems in IE
Might be caused by Netscape 8?
Mr_Brutal




msg:701741
 2:26 pm on May 20, 2005 (gmt 0)

Hello all,

I'm having a problem in IE. I have a number of reports that are accessed over a local intranet. After making your report selections, a stored procedure in Oracle produces an XML file includes a link to an XSL file. This is passed back to the client browser. I used to rely on IE taking the raw XML and translating it into HTML using the linked XSL file.

However for some reason the reports have stopped working, nothing shows in the browser window! Early versions of FireFox used to show the raw XML and not translate it using the suppied link, stating their XML as data-only belief. But recently it began translating in FireFox as well. It also stopped in FireFox. I managed to get it working again in FireFox by changing the MIME type of the XSL file (or adding one) but this had no effect in IE.

Other PC's in the office show the reports fine, only mine has the problem, and the only thing I can think of doing recently is installing Netscape 8. Has any one else had any problems? And found solutions?

To sum up when I open up ANY XML file in IE it displays an empty screen. Even the examples at somewhere like w3schools.com. I've tried reinstalling IE 6 but it won't do it as my version is newer (even after switching the regsitry IsInstalled key).

Any ideas?

 

Chris Kimball




msg:701742
 8:04 pm on May 24, 2005 (gmt 0)

It's Netscape 8 that breaks IE6. I've been begging for help on the bulletin boards and have an e-mail service request ($40) to MS. Also filled out a problem report for Netscape.

It breaks the Avant browser, too.

kenbodensteiner




msg:701743
 11:14 pm on May 24, 2005 (gmt 0)

OK to fix this issue uninstall Netscape and then

Hit START->RUN

Type: regedit

Hit ENTER

Navigate to the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension

Highlight and right-click the node titled "xml" and select delete.

Restart your browser and you should be good-to-go.

Mr_Brutal




msg:701744
 8:17 am on May 25, 2005 (gmt 0)

Hey kenbodensteiner!

Thats superb! It all works again now.
So it IS Netscape 8 changing a plugin setting for IE.

Thanks for the fix.

Cheers

Chris Kimball




msg:701745
 8:27 pm on May 26, 2005 (gmt 0)

Thanks to "kenbodensteiner"! It worked!

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / XML Development
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved