homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Domain Names Forum

Transfering away from GoDaddy
Why won't they allow it?

 1:36 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

Years ago I decided to consolidate my domain names into one account at one registrar to simplify things. I choose enom because at the time they were the only registrar that had dynamic DNS for free.

I've recently purchased 2 .com domains from 2 separate people, and both names were registered at GoDaddy. I've gone through the process like normal: I ask them to remove the registrar lock and then I initiate the transfer. A few days after they approve the transfers, I get notices that GoDaddy refused the transfers.

Why are they refusing the transfers? The sellers of these domains are clueless... I'm about ready to demand a refund but I thought I'd ask here for advice first. I really don't want to keep those domains at GD, what do they need to do to let these names go?



 1:41 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

Did you ask godaddy ..they have a24 support Phone number

Most likely the reason you cant transfer out is you or the seller changed contact information.. that automatically puts a 60 day hold (no transfers)on the names ..a security precaution


 1:45 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

I've never had a problem with moving domains away from Go Daddy, the hardest part is finding your way through their muddled control panel to remove the registrar lock. You should get email confirmation as the admin contact once the lock is removed then your transfer will go through. Just try to unlock again.

I assume that these domains are not brand new purchases, transfers are usually restricted in the first 60 days.

[edited by: encyclo at 1:46 pm (utc) on June 6, 2006]


 1:46 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

You'll be able to transfer the names normally after the 60-day period has passed. Don't make any more changes to the contact info or the waiting period will start over.


 3:45 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

Also, be sure to change the status back to "transfer lock" during the 60 day waiting period. Better to be safe than sorry.


 4:09 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

Crap, this sounds like I'm going to have to create an account there to put the names in until the 60 days pass. Both enon and GD have less-than-intuitive interfaces, but I have gotten used to enom... I really don't want to have to learn GD's again.


 4:39 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

I think eNom's interface is significantly easier and faster than GoDaddy's. But that's just personal opinion. If you change ANY registrant details at GoDaddy (like in a push from 1 account to another), you invoke GoDaddy's internal 60-hold policy. You can't transfer away for 60-days.


 5:12 pm on Jun 6, 2006 (gmt 0)

I wonder if removing the lock would invoke the 60 day hold? Each of these domains were locked first.


 10:18 pm on Jun 8, 2006 (gmt 0)

I wonder if removing the lock would invoke the 60 day hold?

No it won't at GoDaddy


 5:09 pm on Jun 9, 2006 (gmt 0)

It wouldnt


 5:51 pm on Jun 9, 2006 (gmt 0)

I've created an account and had the two names pushed into the it.... it's a cumbersome process, but I guess in 60 days I can transfer the names to my registrar of choice.... thanks for all your help!

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved