homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.197.19.35
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Pubcon Platinum Sponsor 2014
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Domain Names Forum

    
How to buy a domain from a domain pro
Joeller




msg:680564
 12:55 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

I am currently trying to buy a domain name from a domain broker. The domain name is ok, but nothing fancy. The domain is not used for over 14 months and there is absolutely no one who has interest in this domain. If I would ask for a domain evaluation from one of the big domain broker companies, they will tell me a price of max. $ 500.

The domain seller asks for a price above $5000 and has not interest in negotiation.

How would you deal with a seller like this? Do I waste my time or is there any chance to manipulate this person ;-)

Thanks for any tips.

J.

 

Alternative Future




msg:680565
 1:04 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

From some/little experience in both buying and selling a couple of domains. I would make the offer known to the seller and then back away. If they are going to sell it they should contact you within a period of time. This has happened to me in the past I made the offer and walked away, a few weeks later they contacted me with a price nearer to my initial offer, I still insisted on paying $500 they eventually gave way and I secured the domain.

Hope this helps,

-George

nativenewyorker




msg:680566
 2:00 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

It is possible that the domain has traffic and generates revenue from old inbound links or type in traffic. An independent appraisal from a third party may not take this into account, as they are not privy to information known by the domain owner. The independent appraisals may say the domain is worth $500 based strictly on the quality of the name, while the domain actually generates $500/year in PPC revenue. That would explain why the seller has no desire to negotiate.

Joeller




msg:680567
 2:39 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

Thanks for your help.

I tried the "walk away" strategy a year ago and it did not work. Now the guy even doubled the price for the domain.
The crazy part is, that the domain is unused and does not generate any revenue. The name is so weird, that I doubt that it has many type-ins.
Because of personal reasons I would pay $1000 for this domain, even if it is worth $50.

Would you get a broker involved or should I go for a $1000 straight?

Thanks

J.

Webwork




msg:680568
 3:22 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

Some people view their domain(s) like lottery tickets and cannot accept a reality that looks anything other than like they have won the lottery.

Others view their "unique domains" as 1 of a kind things, that they are the only one who can offer it and therefore you have to either pay their price or suffer without your loved one.

Listen, love isn't always reciprocal. Hold a ceremony. Burn a piece of paper with the domain on it. Bury it. Move on. You are likely dealing with a seller who, possibly, you are feeding their insanity: You proved their unique name will have suitors and has value. It just might but such sellers are entirely free to keep their special domains and be buried with them if the bond is that great.

Make your offer, if it will give you peace, expect that it will not work and if it does - great - and if it only feeds the beast move on and rest with the comfort that you have deepened this domain owner's belief that his/her domain loves him back and that a greater payday awaits. It just might but in my experience and observation the domain highway is littered with the hulks of tens of millions of special or unique domains.

Just in case I'm the nut holding the domain you should know that you don't know anything about my domain's unique value. Muhahahahaha . . :-P

Joeller




msg:680569
 8:02 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

Thanks Webwork,

Your words gave me hope. I will shoot the guy a last offer then go back to my old projects.

I wonder if I should act like this with my real top level projects/domains. It is kind of fun to ask for $2.000.000 for a $50.000 project :-)

J.

nativenewyorker




msg:680570
 10:16 pm on Feb 24, 2006 (gmt 0)

You can try to initiate an Escrow.com transacation with the amount that you want to pay for the domain. This is the equivalent of waving real money in front of the seller. They will know that you are serious about buying their name. You might be able to push their greed button and get them to agree to the transaction before the opportunity disappears. If the seller does nothing within 7 days, the transaction is cancelled with no penalties to either party. Escrow.com will only charge a cancellation fee, if both parties agree to the transaction and it is funded.

Joeller




msg:680571
 2:23 pm on Feb 25, 2006 (gmt 0)

Thanks for the tips.
That's the reason why I become a supporter of this forum.

J.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved