|Should I buy it now, or wait for it to expire?|
| 7:48 pm on Jan 6, 2006 (gmt 0)|
My domain name is currently www.example-*****.co.uk. However in a couple of months the domain name www.example*****.co.uk is going to expire. I had approached the owner in the past who was happy to sell for about $450.
I asked a friend at the time, adn he said he 'didn't think it was worth it', so I just forgot about it.
However, looking at it months later it IS worth it TO ME. I'm really going to push my business (ecom) this year, so the domain name will be worth it to me.
I checked the domain and its due to expire in a couple of months.
Should I -
1. Hold off, and try and grab the domain name when it becomes available, saving me about $400. It's risky as the owner told me other have been interested (but then he would say that), but only one other person has to get in there to steal it from me.
2. Just go for it and get it now?
I guess I've got to get it, and this whole post comes across as 'I want it now, I just need a push', but if I were to wait what would be the best way to secure the domain if the owner chose not to re register it?
[edited by: Webwork at 3:24 pm (utc) on Jan. 9, 2006]
[edit reason] Charter [webmasterworld.com] [/edit]
| 8:18 pm on Jan 6, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Consider this: the first day that domain is available, if someone else grabs it first and the name is marketed for 1,000 or 2,000 or 4,500 or more, how long will you kick yourself for trying to save 450 for a name you know you want.
Even at the 1000 mark, how much lost time will you put in trying to negotiate the price down by a hundred or three?
| 8:41 pm on Jan 6, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Nothing quite like a missed opportunity, missed in the expectation of a greater opportunity arising later.
Do you pay for insurance each year even though you never have an accident, your house didn't burn down or you didn't die or become disabled?
Failing all else think of spending the money like buying insurance: You get a certain amount of peace of mind and protection. Plus, with domains, you also get some present value. :) (Just kidding insurance guys.)
| 8:48 pm on Jan 6, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Its way too risky if the domain name is that central to your business. You may not get another chance at it if somebody else is thinking along the smae lines as you.
If someone else wants the name and has used a drop catcher service it is highly unlikely you will be quick enough to grab the name.
If you register with each of the drop catcher services you may have competition, and names there often seem to go for more than similar names in the forums.
Anyway the guy might renew it LOL!
What it comes down to in the end is the name worth more than $450 to you and your plans? Can you make it back easily by owning it? - You've probably answered your own question. :)
| 7:27 am on Jan 7, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Buy it NOW! Buy it NOW!
If the other guy thinks it's worth 450 and he has even 1 interested buyer (you) then he's probably going to renew it anyway.
| 12:50 pm on Jan 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Get it now. US$450 is cheap considering the fact that you are running a business. It is not in thousands. If the domain name is just for a hobby site probably you should wait but this is for the future of your business. You are going to regret it later if it is taken by others, because surfers will more likely to key in the domain name without the - dash.
| 2:48 pm on Jan 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
It depends on how important is your business for you and how important is that name for your business.
If the business is your main income and you make 4500$ or more per month, then BUY it, it is just a less than 10% peanuts expense, which may even be a tax-reducible business invest.
Don't expect that domain to expire, you probably would either wait forever -- or another one (professional domain dealer) grabs it.
All my domains are reaching their expiry date "in a couple of months" every year, until the registrar bills me automatically a few days/weeks before its due and woops - the expiry date moves another year forward.
| 3:15 pm on Jan 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
| 3:19 pm on Jan 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Let us just hope that the domain owner will not read this thread. Otherwise he might want to increase the price later if he knows that you are desperate for the name. I hope you did not reject his offer earlier. RFOL
If you could not get it, you will only bringing some traffic to his/her site when your business is picking up. Also it is good to get www.example-name.com, www.example*****.com, ******.net etc. if you could afford (which is affordable) so that no one will create sites with similar name as yours.
[edited by: Webwork at 3:25 pm (utc) on Jan. 9, 2006]
[edit reason] Charter [webmasterworld.com] [/edit]
| 11:43 pm on Jan 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
If I got an offer on the domain I wouldn't let it drop, ever. So... Buy it!
$450 is cheap compared to what most businesses could earn with the traffic. If you have example-example . com I bet most of your return visitors try exampleexample . com at least once.
| 12:44 am on Jan 10, 2006 (gmt 0)|
|However, looking at it months later it IS worth it TO ME |
If you think it's worth it, buy it!
| 2:45 am on Jan 10, 2006 (gmt 0)|
I guess the deed must have been done by now... how did it go chodges84?
| 3:43 am on Jan 11, 2006 (gmt 0)|
offer him half