|Domain transfer question|
Current registrar won't permit changes to dns
| 8:23 pm on Dec 19, 2005 (gmt 0)|
I have an issue I've never run into before. I've initiated a transfer request for my client's domain from registrar A to registrar B. The transfer will take 5-7 days to complete. Current hosting is paid through the end of the month, and I planned to change the nameservers to mine after the transfer was complete, figuring I had plenty of time to get that done.
Meanwhile, after initiation of the transfer request, the current host suffered a hard drive failure and lost my client's site. So I thought, okay, we'll just change the dns at registrar A to point the domain to my server, and I'll start hosting it immediately rather waiting until the end of the month. But Registrar A will not allow a change to the nameservers, claiming that "new rules" do not permit any such changes once a transfer request has been initiated.
I've never heard of this rule, and I have to wonder if the losing registrar is full of bs or if this is accurate. The losing registrar claims that it's not their own policy but is a rule that applies to all registrars. But I can't find anything at icann.org about such a rule.
Has anyone ever heard of this rule? Am I just woefully ignorant of transfer policies, and so blind that I can't find the rule at ICANN's site? If this rule does in fact exist, is there any solution, besides having my client's site, including their e-mail, down for the duration while waiting for the domain transfer to go through?
| 3:59 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
Now that you mention it, I don't know what's the rule either. But I do know registrars won't allow anything to happen to a domain name when a transfer request has started, be it renewing the name or even change DNS.
Thus, you'd best make changes before or after the transfer has concluded, successful or not.
I'll look around and post if I find any "rule" regarding this. Probably an RFC or something...
| 4:29 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
If you do find anything, I'd appreciate hearing about it. The gaining registrar got back to me and said that no, there's no such rule, although it may be the other registrar's internal policy.
The losing registrar claims it's a rule that applies to all registrars and won't budge.
I got the current host to re-configure his server for the client's e-mail during this transition, so at least their e-mail will be back up and running.
But this is really bugging me. I've always disliked the losing registrar, and this just gives me one more reason to continue that dislike. I have a couple domains sitting around unused. I think I'll transfer one of them somewhere and see if I can still change the dns for it at my current registrar after initiating the transfer process. I'm betting I'll have no trouble, which will confirm my suspicion that the other registrar is full of bs. I envision a possible ICANN complaint in my future.
| 4:41 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
The issue has to do with changing an item which affects the registry output during a transfer. The registry out puts for expiration, update date, Registrar of Record, and DNS are all affected during a transfer. Most registrars do not allow DNS changes after there has been a transfer request because it can delay the transfer of the domain. When you change DNS, it requires a Registry update unlike changing contact info which is dependent the registrar data base.
So contact info such as registrant, admin, billing, tech are all stored locally at the registrar. DNS, expiration, update date, and lock status, and registrar of record are all stored at the central registry.
Hope that helps with your question
| 5:25 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
Monte, your explanation seems to make sense... sort of... I think. But the registrar I'm transferring the domain TO said there's no such rule and didn't seem to think there should be any problem with changing nameservers while waiting for the transfer to complete.
Also, AFAIK, the losing registrar isn't particularly worried about a delay in the transfer. They don't give you an option to approve the transfer and get on with it; they sit on the domain for the entire 5 days permitted by ICANN before releasing it for transfer, provided you don't deny the transfer. I've dealt with this registrar before, and in my experience they make it as difficult as possible to transfer a domain away. Before ICANN instituted its rule requiring the release of domains for transfer, this particular registrar routinely made it nearly impossible to transfer a domain away from them.
My previous experience with this registrar is why I'm so quick to be suspicious of their claim -- along with my inability to find any reference to this rule at ICANN's site, or anywhere else that Googlebot travels.
| 6:54 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
it is not an ICANN rule. it is at the registrar level.
| 7:14 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
Thanks, Monte. It would appear that the losing registrar simply outright lied when they claimed it was a rule that applied to all registrars. Bah!
| 9:13 am on Dec 20, 2005 (gmt 0)|
Couldn't find any such rule after a couple of hours. Whew!
Thanks for replying also, Monte.