homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.226.191.80
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Visit PubCon.com
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Domain Names Forum

    
Domain Registar Expires in September, What Should I Do
Does this mean I will be able to get it in September?
Aberdeen




msg:698078
 5:45 am on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

A domain name I am very interested in expires in September of this year. The domain name has no site, and from what I can gather never has. I looked at the certified offer service an it recommended offering 2,000 dollars. No chance am I doing that. I am not sure I want to contact the owners in case they demand something stupid and re-new the domain because they know someone is interested in it.

Should I wait till september, would I be able to get it if it is not renewed? Should I use a backorder service.

By the way I just bought the .co.uk version, but I really want to .com

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

 

roldar




msg:698079
 5:56 am on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

I don't think there is any silver bullet answer here.

If you want the domain name and it is worth $2,000.00 to you, then the only way you can be assured of getting it is by ponying up the cash.

If the domain name is valuable to others you can be certain that they are going to grab for it when it drops, and they'll probably beat you to it.

Some questions you can ask yourself:

What would you do if somebody else bought this domain name tomorrow?

What would you do if it expires and somebody else catches it and demands $4,000.00?

If this domain name is absolutely vital to your business, then you should seriously consider making an offer in the ballpark of what it is worth to you.

I always like to consider such things for a little while before making a decision. It is so easy to think of the perfect domain name, then look it up and find out it is being held by someone not using it. It's easy to convince yourself it is worth a lot more than it really is. Is it possible there are other names which would suit your purposes just as well?

Don't let your emotions get in the way. Just do what needs to be done or accept the possiblities if you bet on chance and hope alone.

Aberdeen




msg:698080
 6:51 am on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

To be honest, the maximum I would pay would be $200. It is not the end of the world if I don't get it. Would you recommend using a backorder domain name company like snapname and just see what happens.

I don't believe it is a popular name, and think the $2000 was pulled out of the air because it contains a popular term, but it is combined with a hypthen and a letter.

Cheers

roldar




msg:698081
 7:16 am on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

If it's not such a big deal, I'd certainly give the backorder a try. If they honestly think it's worth high XXX - low XXXX, then they probably won't give it up for $200. Ironically, I've run into a couple people who refused to consider offers under some ridiculous level and then let the names expire.

Keep in mind that a lot of people will wait until the name is almost expired before renewing it. A lot of registrars have automatic renewal features that will wait until the last month or week and then tack on a year to the registration.

If I was in your shoes I'd try to ascertain if this person is just throwing out $2000, or if they really expect to get that. If they expect it, then I'd get the backorders set up and wait. If they renew it then I'd make the offer and be done with it one way or the other.

Your fear that they might hold the name more tightly if you show interest is not unfounded. A few years ago I inquired about a domain name which I must admit was probably worth a lot. They wanted $500. Unfortunately $500 was a lot to me at the time. Two months after my inquiry I had saved up $500 and made a formal offer. The price had mysteriously risen to $2500, but since they had quoted $500 they offered to kick it down to $2000. Their site now says "offers in excess of $5000 only." I believe the name is worth a few thousand. Now they do too.

Just my two cents.

Aberdeen




msg:698082
 7:50 am on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

Perhaps I did not make myself totally clear the $2000 number came from an online tool. I have no idea how much the owner values the domain. In fact, I am a little hesitant to ask, the the exact reason you have listed. I think maybe I should run the backorder, and if the domain is renewed by the owner, then contact him. Would you agree?

roldar




msg:698083
 7:59 am on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

If time is not a big factor then that is probably what I would do. Just know there is always the risk that it could be sold to somebody else, depending on how valuable the name is to others.

Google the domain name in "quotes" and see if the owner is trying to sell it on forums or elsewhere.

I made an offer on a domain name that I was interested in after finding that the owner only wanted $100 for it. I had been considering offering $500 since his landing page said "serious offers only." Saved myself a few hundred dollars and the seller seemed pleased with the price.

davezan




msg:698084
 2:00 pm on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

Since you mentioned certified offer, I take it the name is with netsol? :)

gpmgroup




msg:698085
 2:03 pm on Jun 17, 2005 (gmt 0)

I would just send a short polite email to the current owner, something like

Hi, I see your not using blahblah.com and wondered if you would be interested in selling the name? If so how much would you be looking to get for the name....

Successfully wining drops is not straightforward and as the name is very logical to your business your time would be better spent developing the site.

Aberdeen




msg:698086
 8:33 am on Jun 18, 2005 (gmt 0)

Yes it was netsol, are there estimates anywhere close to reality?

Loosing 3 months of development time is something that I would prefer not to happen. So maybe it is worth contacting the guy.

gpmgroup




msg:698087
 9:23 am on Jun 18, 2005 (gmt 0)

Snapnames get first dibs I believe on Netsol names.

So that should make your drop catching a little easier and a little cheaper :)

If the name is good the resulting Snapnames auction will be competitve, but it is a nice auction format if you really want the name.

rsequin




msg:698088
 11:55 am on Jun 18, 2005 (gmt 0)

Buying domains is like buying art. You should buy them because you like them or have a use for them somewhere.

A year from now, would you rather regret spending too much for a domain or not having the domain at all, ever.

Most sellers will sell a domain for $500 or so, MOST under $2000.

Ask if they have more like it, including extensions and maybe they can throw something in.

Send an email with a legit offer of $500 or more to show you are serious.

davezan




msg:698089
 2:02 pm on Jun 18, 2005 (gmt 0)

Buying domains is like buying art.

Incidentally there's one out there who thinks like that. If he or his firm got it, you can kiss
it goodbye for good. :)

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Domain Names
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved