|How soon can I move a domain to new registrar|
if it has been mooved a week ago
The domain was registered at registrar A – now the owner moved it / renewed it at Tucows a week ago. I am going to buy this domain, and I am a bit worried about this thing:
- How soon can I move the domain to another registrar?
So its: RegA -> RegG (a week ago) -> How soon can I move
As far as I know there are no restrictions on moving a domain which has just been renewed.
You may find it hard to move domains that are coming up to their renewal, depending on the registrar.
Worst case, it's 60 days, but that's looking at the renewal as a new registration. In any case, you can still administer DNS at the old registrar and point the domain to your preferred host. When you transfer the domain, you'll retain these DNS settings through the transfer, and it shouldn't affect your hosting situation.
Bottom line, you've got the domain, it's paid up for another year. There's no urgency to move it because you won't incur any more registrar cost until next year anyway.
What I am worried about is that the the domain shows "Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC." and I wouldn't want to register as a wholesaler to get an account with Tucows.
Does anyone have experience with domains that have "Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC." in WHOIS. Is there a way to find out if posibley it was registred at some reseller website?
I'm not too clear from your original post whether you are describing:-
Registrar A -> Renewed at A -> Transfer to Registrar C
Registrar A -> Transferred to Registrar B (renewed) -> Transfer to Registrar C
With *most* registrars, the first scenario above shouldn't come with any built-in time limits.
Again, with *most* registrars, you will need to wait 60 days after a move if you are moving to *another* new registrar.
[NOTE: You can renew a domain at any time, regardless of how old/new it is, for up to 10 years in total i.e. 10 years from now.]
|Is there a way to find out if posibley it was registred at some reseller website? |
Any domain with OpenSRS/Tucows on the WHOIS will have been registered via a reseller account, as this is the nature of the OpenSRS system. This doesn't affect the transfer procedure in any way though, as domains registered through Tucows are subject to the same rules as domains registered at any other Registrar.
If it's been transferred to Tucows and renewed that way, you'll have to wait 60 days before you can transfer to another Registrar.
If it was already at Tucows and has only been renewed, you should be able to transfer to a new Registrar immediately.
|Registrar A -> Transferred to Registrar B (renewed) -> Transfer to Registrar C |
This is what I was talking about and as I understand I will have to wait another 60 days to be able move the domain if I buy it now.
Does that pose any security threats?
I dont have an account with Tucows and if I can not move it to my regsistrar I would have no direct control over the domain. There are no FREE OpenSRS/Tucows accounts that I could get and the seller could PUSH the domain to so as I understand it would have to remain in the sellers account with my whois data but under his control?
Many OpenSRS accounts will allow the user to split one or more domains off into a seperate account - if the current holder of the domain can do this, you'll end up with the domain is your own account and you'll be able to change the access username and password, hence securing the domain.
If I recall, you should be able to transfer from one OpenSRS reseller to another, regardless of how recently the domain was transferred. This is because you're not actually moving from one Registrar to another, hence the 60 day rule shouldn't apply. If the admin e-mail is changed to your e-mail address, try going to another OpenSRS reseller, creating an account and initiating the transfer - you may find the domain is transferred quite quickly and if so, you can then wait until the 60 day period is up and transfer the domain to your preferred Registrar.